Upload local file to managed folder

Solved!
Abby_123
Level 2
Upload local file to managed folder

Hello,

I need to upload files from my local machine to a managed folder on DSS. I looked into creating a WebApp and converting it to a plugin, but it didn't work.

I want to be able to use it in my flow as a recipe or plugin and kick off import as part of the flow. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Operating system used: Windows

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Turribeach

Hi, that helps. You need to understand that your DSS server doesn't have access to your PC so the two options you listed won't be possible. So here are a few alternatives:

1. You move your update Excel files process to Dataiku so the update happens in Dataiku not in your PC
  2. You move your Excel files to a network share which you then mount in your DSS server so you can access the updated files
  3. You write some Dataiku Python API code that runs on your PC so that when you execute the Python script it will upload the files and trigger a Scenario refresh which updates your flow
  4. You write some winscp script to scp the files to the DSS server. Then trigger your flow refresh based on a scenario with a dataset change trigger set on the folder where the files are

Thanks,

Christian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @Abby_123,

It is possible to create a webapp to uplad files to a managed folder in DSS, but I think the easiest approach would be to create an application to do so. Applications are intended to allow you to create a separate instance of your project (across multiple users potentially). There is a built-in "Upload file" tile for applications and here is an example of using it. I would suggest walking through the application tutorial and see if this would be a good option for you. 

Thanks,
Sarina 

0 Kudos
Turribeach

There are several ways to do what you want. The best way will depend on how you want to automate it. So perhaps you can describe exactly what you want to happen when you upload the file as that will give us a better idea on how to achieve it. 

0 Kudos
Abby_123
Level 2
Author

@Turribeach 

I have a set of excel files on my local machine that get updated once a month. I need to upload them into a managed folder. Then, the file is used in recipes and/or Jupyter notebooks (depends on how the project is set up).

I know that I can upload files via a webapp, application designer or just by going into the folder and using an "Add a file" option. However, I'd like to avoid this step where I have to manually upload the file. Instead, I'd like uploading happen via one or both options:

• same Jupyter notebook where the rest of the process runs
  • a recipe/plugin in the process flow where I can kick off the entire process (including uploading new files) in one click.

Hope this helps understand my intent.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Turribeach

Hi, that helps. You need to understand that your DSS server doesn't have access to your PC so the two options you listed won't be possible. So here are a few alternatives:

1. You move your update Excel files process to Dataiku so the update happens in Dataiku not in your PC
  2. You move your Excel files to a network share which you then mount in your DSS server so you can access the updated files
  3. You write some Dataiku Python API code that runs on your PC so that when you execute the Python script it will upload the files and trigger a Scenario refresh which updates your flow
  4. You write some winscp script to scp the files to the DSS server. Then trigger your flow refresh based on a scenario with a dataset change trigger set on the folder where the files are

Thanks,

Christian

0 Kudos