Drop data set to False deletes the SQL table

Solved!
jvijayakumar2
Level 3
Drop data set to False deletes the SQL table

Hi,

I create an SQL table dataset inside my custom plugin recipe and try to delete just the dataset without dropping the table in the database. But the table is being dropped whether or not I set drop_data to True or False. Just wanted to check if I'm doing it the right way.

I referred to this documentation

https://developer.dataiku.com/latest/concepts-and-examples/datasets/datasets-other.html#deleting-a-d...

Thanks

dataset = project.create_sql_table_dataset(table_name, "PostgreSQL", connection, table_name, schema)
dataset_settings = dataset.get_settings()
table_name_with_schema = '"' + schema + '"."' + table_name + '"'
dataset_settings.get_raw_params()["customPostWriteStatements"] = 'ALTER TABLE ' + table_name_with_schema + ' ADD COLUMN id bigint GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY; GRANT SELECT , DELETE ON TABLE ' + table_name_with_schema + ' TO psqladmin;'
dataset_settings.save()
src_dataset.copy_to(dataset, sync_schema=True, write_mode='OVERWRITE')
dataset.delete(drop_data=False)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @jvijayakumar2 ,
As discussed on the support ticket your code does not wait for the copy_to to complete thus no table is created at that point.

You should avoid this by adding ( wait_for_result()

src_dataset.copy_to(dataset, sync_schema=True, write_mode='OVERWRITE').wait_for_result()

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Turribeach

The API reference says the drop_data=False but you have drop_na=False in your code.

0 Kudos
jvijayakumar2
Level 3
Author

It was drop_data=False that I was using. Corrected the sample snippet.

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @jvijayakumar2 ,
As discussed on the support ticket your code does not wait for the copy_to to complete thus no table is created at that point.

You should avoid this by adding ( wait_for_result()

src_dataset.copy_to(dataset, sync_schema=True, write_mode='OVERWRITE').wait_for_result()

Thanks

jvijayakumar2
Level 3
Author

Thanks @AlexT I was able to get it working by adding wait_for_result()

0 Kudos

Labels

?
Labels (2)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku