Join Visual Recipe - Advanced Join

RanjithJose
Level 2
Join Visual Recipe - Advanced Join

Hi All-

Does any of you have an example of how advanced join works? where in the options are as below

First Data Set : Keep All

Second Data Set: Keep a subset of matching rows

Keep "1" match with "the largest value"  of field "Column1"

Column 1 --> has alphanumeric values ex: "777|2345692|RoleName|4454557777|ABC"

Trying to understand, how will the "the largest value"  of field "Column1" would work since the column has value which is alphanumeric.

Any reference to any article talking about advanced join is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jurre
Level 5

Hi @RanjithJose ,

Keeping a subset of matching rows seems similar to Match and then Filter. In the visual Join recipe, on the left side of the screen, is a "Post-Filter" option. With that you can specify filtering of the matched results. 

Hope this helps! Cheers, 

Jurre

EDIT : as my work dictates transparency and understandability(is that a word?)  for non-tech users i generally try to keep the joins as simple as possible. Any pre- or postprocessing is separated in pre- or aftersteps in a different recipe, mostly prepare-recipes. To keep the flow understandable smart usage of zones help a lot.  

0 Kudos
RanjithJose
Level 2
Author

Wanted to utilize advanced join feature better, since that gives me more control on the dataset. Appreciate any one explaining how exactly advanced join works in my example posted as question.

0 Kudos