Introduce Yourself!

Options
KerriW
KerriW Dataiker Alumni Posts: 51 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As we're working to connect our user base and build a vibrant community space for everyone, we thought it would be helpful to have a space for members to introduce themselves and get to know others in the Community.

A few thoughts starters:

• Username/Name
  • Role
  • Responsibilities
  • Experience in Data Science

We look forward to connecting with everyone and learning more about our amazing group of Dataiku DSS users!

Answers

• Michael Grayson
    Michael Grayson Administrator, Dataiker, Alpha Tester, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Community Team Posts: 295 Administrator
    Options

Hi Tim! Welcome and thanks for being the first poster in our new community!

Feel free to provide feedback on anything you find here.

• Michael Grayson
    Michael Grayson Administrator, Dataiker, Alpha Tester, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Community Team Posts: 295 Administrator
    Options

Hi Ash! Happy to see a fellow Londoner here - welcome to the Community.

Not unfortunate at all - having less experienced people here to let us know if we are being unhelpfully technical is fantastic!

• kmuehmel
    kmuehmel Dataiker, Alpha Tester Posts: 7 Dataiker
    Options
    Welcome to the Community, Tim! Thanks for being a Dataiku user, and for bringing your experience to all of us here!
  • kmuehmel
    kmuehmel Dataiker, Alpha Tester Posts: 7 Dataiker
    Options
    Welcome to the Community, Ash! You and your colleagues at Unilever are doing impressive things, and your contributions will be beneficial to all!
  • kldehoff
    kldehoff Registered Posts: 3 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

My name is Kevin DeHoff.

I live and work in the Orlando, FL area (and I'm not entirely sure if I'm allowed to share the company name, so I won't).

I have a Ph.D. in Statistics and hold a role as a Data Scientist.

My duties include building predictive models and improving automation methods.

I have been using Dataiku extensively between evaluation, community, and full versions for approximately 3 years.

• KerriW
    Options

Hi Kevin - Great to meet you and thanks for joining the Dataiku Community! Feel free to reach out to our Community Management team at any time - @MichaelG
    @LisaB
    or myself if you have questions.

And of course, would love to hear your thoughts on the experience in this thread!

Cheers!

• Michael Grayson
    Options

Hi Tom, welcome to the community! Great to have you with us.

You have made me curious now - what's the most important factor in museum attendance?

Also great flower! I'm feeling highly inadequate in my card giving now.

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,595 Neuron
    Options

We have discovered a number of features that are significant to museums, they include:

• Weather
      • Precipitation
      • Humidity
      • Temperature
        • Cold
        • Hot
    • Holiday and School Calendars
    • Time of year to some extent

We have discovered some others but those are important features when it comes to predicting "walk-up" attendance. We tested on the order of 300 features. Some common sense, some synthetic.

We are working on operationalizing this model over three time periods.

10 day

30 day

18 month

It is interesting to me that you see a flower in the results. I see a candle. However, I know that I made the image from a candle and several hundred images by O'Keeffe

Here is another.

Style Seagull O'Keeffe 12_11 +100-1024px-144-5.jpeg

This is based on a seagull. That is showing it's dinosaur background. Through the style transfer from O'Keeffe again.

Have a great day.

• Michael Grayson
    Options

Thanks for sharing!

Ha as soon as you say that I see the candle much more clearly.

Oh yeah I can really see the Pterodactyl coming through!

• AaronCrouch
    AaronCrouch Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Adv Designer, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2022, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My name is Aaron Crouch, I am Data Analytics Manager for Atlantic Plant Maintenance, a wholly owned affiliate of GE Power. We are located in Pasadena, Texas (South East of Houston).

We purchased DataIku to flag jobs where we believe a safety or quality defect will occur. We currently have 85% accuracy in picking which jobs will have an incident before the job starts.

As of last week, we developed an intervention plan for job sites deemed high risk, and are working on how to measure effectiveness of our plan.

• KerriW
    Options

Thanks for sharing your intro @AaronCrouch
    ! Welcome to the new Dataiku Community. Great to hear about your application of Dataiku DSS and look forward to hearing more.

Let us know if you have any community questions or feedback you'd like to share - we're eager to hear from our members

Cheers,

-Kerri

• Timinator
    Timinator Registered Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all!

My name is Tim Dickinson. I'm based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in eastern Canada. I'm actually looking for a new role and organization right now, but am really interested in what Dataiku is doing so thought I'd join the community. I have not had a lot of data analytics work experience so far: mostly some old-school BI tools plus some self-taught R (from Coursera) for fun.

Full disclosure: I worked with @KerriW
    a little bit in our previous lives.

• KerriW
    Options

Hey @Timinator
    - thanks for joining and great to hear from you again! As a seasoned CSM and Community professional, would love any feedback you might have on the new Community experience, feel free to add any thoughts to the Community Feedback thread here

Welcome again and hope you enjoy!

• always-santosh
    always-santosh Registered Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi All,

Myself Santosh B. I am from Pune, India. I work for _VOIS (Vodafone shared services) as Senior IT Operations Manager. We are working with Egypt team for implementing ML model for failure prediction using Dataiku on GCP.

Santosh B

• LisaB
    LisaB Dataiker, Alpha Tester Posts: 208 Dataiker
    Options

Hi @always-santosh
    , welcome to the Community!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have about DSS in the Discussions, start discussing any data topics of interest in General Discussion, and give your feedback on the Feedback board.

Have a great day!

• GP
    GP Registered Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    • GP
    • Zurich
    • Zurich Insurance Company
    • Head of Data Science & Advanced Analytics
    • Advancing Data Science within Zurich
    • Originally a geophysicist, 25+ years in commercial advanced analytics solution development

Looking forward to sharing info / experiences with the wider Dataiku community.

• ben_p
    ben_p Neuron 2020, Registered, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant Posts: 143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi everyone,

My name is Ben, I live and work in the beautiful Herefordshire countryside in the UK. I am currently Data Science Manager for the online clothing and sports wear retailer MandM Direct.

Here at MandM we do a lot of work around understanding our customers, and actioning data to improve our marketing communications and advertising spend. I have skilled up in the data science in the past couple of years, as the business has accumulated more data and has needed to look for smarter, faster ways to extract value from it.

We've come a long way over the last couple of years and DataIKU is the next exciting step in us embedding data science and machine learning into business action and decision making every single day.

Look forward to learning with you all,
    Ben

• Michael Grayson
    Options
    Welcome to the Community GP!
    Really glad to have you with us - and looking forward to hearing your experiences!
  • Michael Grayson
    Options

Hi @ben_p

Ohh Herefordshire that's on my list for places to move once I leave London - I'll take your beautiful comment under advisement!

Welcome to the Community - I hope it helps you continue your upskilling!

• David_Yu_20
    David_Yu_20 Registered Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi everyone,

My name is David, I'm running a start-up on diverse IT projects include AI and machine learning, in Sydney, Australia.

I try to introduce a new methodology of AI and machine learning, I call it Advanced Machine Learning; I hope it can solve the AI crisis (like killer bots mentioned in DataIku proportional video), and help human development greatly.

Currently I look for partners to build some useful working machine learning applications.

• Michael Grayson
    Options

Welcome @David_Yu_20
    ! Thanks for being a part of the Community.

Can you tell me a bit more about your new methodology?

Good luck on your hunt for partners!

• David_Yu_20
    David_Yu_20 Registered Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Michael,

The methodology I use is to put a programmable middle layer in neural networks like Markov Chain or Boltzmann Machine; making human-computer interactions more scalable and machine learning could become machine educating (human can extract valuable information from big data). For instance, if you want to build light speed spaceship, you can let AI teach you how to build it..

At this stage, we only co-work with our trusted partners, and there are many technical details involved if we start to cooperate. I'm always willing to discuss.

Cheers,

• ablashr
    ablashr Registered Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Everyone,

My name is Abhilash and I am based out of NY-NJ area. I work as an Engagement Manager at USEReady Inc., and primarily focus on data projects in the financial services industry. I would define myself as someone who understands the financial services space, but my experience in data science techniques is at a beginner level.

I looking forward to connecting and learning from you all.

Best regards,

Abhilash

• neomatrix369
    neomatrix369 Registered Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all,

I’m Mani, a Freelance Software, Data and ML engineer, Java developer by heart by a polyglot by trade and skills.

I’m a fan of many things, and Dataiku is one of them hence decided to join this forum. As you have guessed Data, Data Science, NLP and Machine Learning are my favourite topics, taking into mind Performance and other things which you can find in my detailed outline about myself here. Not just runtime HW/SW performance but also model performance and explainability.

I use many tools for the end-to-end process and Dataiku is among them in the pipeline.

I take great interest in GraalVM and Truffle (see my work on https://github.com/neomatrix369/awesome-graal), alongside also a strong enthusiast of AI/ML/DL (see https://github.com/neomatrix369/awesome-ai-ml-dl) - I learn and share my knowledge through these repositories and via LinkedIn and Twitter as well.

Happy to answer questions about anything in my area of expertise and most importantly I’m here to also learn and discuss other topics that this forum focusses on.

Thank you and please reach out if you like to chat some more.

Regards,
    Mani

• BenGonGon
    BenGonGon Registered Posts: 20 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello all,
    I am in switzerland an I am master's student.

I use Dataiku for deeplearning and I have a problem.

1) Deeplearning and cpu only is : wait wait wait wait and wait.
    2) I am windows user and I have a good pc gamer but I cannot use dataiku natively (only vm).

my presence here is for build a bootable usb stick with linux and dataiku for use gpu of my pc gamer.
    By this way I can use GPU in dataiku without destroying my windows installation or buy new expensive computer only for that.

If someone is interested, you can help me to do that.

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,595 Neuron
    Options

@BenGonGon

I understand that DL runs slow on CPU.

Dataiku is really a native Linux application suite. It does not run directly on Windows that's why the virtual machine is offered as one option. You will definitely loose some performance using a VM, and I'm not clear if you will be able to successfully expose the GPU to the VM if you end up going the VM way.

Your idea of dual boot your computer into Linux and Windows seems like a good idea. How are you with basic computer repairs. Opening the case, adding an removing hard drives. Maybe using a second real SSD rather than what is likely to be a slower USB Stick might be a better idea. This might represent an answer for you. I think that you would be most likely to be able to get linux drivers that will allow you to access your GPU. In this case, you would have to boot into a real Linux when you want to do some DL, reboot into Windows when you have to use an MS Application. However, using a separate drive would allow you to protect your MS Windows drive. In fact while setting up you could open your computer and remove the Windows drive in order to avoid the risk of corruption.

As an alternative Using DSS with WLS2 might be a possibility

Here is some documentation

https://www.dataiku.com/de/product/get-started/windows/

I don't know what will happen with GPU drivers under WLS2.

Here is another maybe cautionary note from the community about WLS

https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/Unable-start-dataiku-server/m-p/8737

There is a long thread on using DSS on a laptop that has a somewhat related discussion.

https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/It-s-time-for-a-new-Laptop-What-would-you-do/m-p/6890

Please let us know how you get on with this.

I've not actually solved this problem. How have others solved the GPU and DSS on a Designer Node? I personally would love to hear how folks are working out these challenges.

Here is some GPU setup documentation.

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/machine-learning/deep-learning/runtime-gpu.html

• BenGonGon
    BenGonGon Registered Posts: 20 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @tgb417

If I can do a good install tutorial, I share it with all.
    I have try to put my tuto install for be checking it in a post in this forum.

follow us on : https://community.dataiku.com/t5/Setup-Configuration/Error-when-use-macro-Download-pre-trained-model/td-p/11616

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…