Dataiku Folder.get_path() is not working. Error: cannot perform direct filesystem access

Solved!
bon2bone
Level 2
Dataiku Folder.get_path() is not working. Error: cannot perform direct filesystem access

Hello, I am trying to get the printing of some messages to a log file (log.txt) in logfolder (a managed folder in DSS, connects to sharepoint folder).  

Error ==>

Line 128: managed_folder_path = dataiku.Folder("logfolder").get_path()
Job failed: Error in Python process: At line 128: <class 'Exception'>: Folder is not on the local filesystem (uses fsprovider_sharepoint-server_sharepoint-server_shared-documents), cannot perform direct filesystem access. Use the read/write API instead.

My code ==>

import logging

import dataiku
import pandas as pd, numpy as np
from dataiku import pandasutils as pdu
from datetime import datetime
import os.path

logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)
managed_folder_path = dataiku.Folder("logfolder").get_path()
logging.root.addHandler(logging.FileHandler(os.path.join(managed_folder_path, "log.txt")))
logging.info("hello")

Operating system used: Unix

0 Kudos
1 Solution
bon2bone
Level 2
Author

Finally I am able to wrap my head around and create filesystem folder instead (after that I could write morecode to copy that file back to sharepoint):

- In Flow, + Dataset > Folder.
- Label = logfolder
- Store into = filesystem_folders
- Paritioning = Not partitioned
- Set output to logfolder from Python recipe

Code ==>

import logging
import dataiku
import os.path

logger = logging.getLogger("mylogger")

if logger.hasHandlers():
logger.handlers = []

logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)

#create File for Log
handler = logging.FileHandler(os.path.join(managed_folder_path, "log.txt"))
handler.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)

#log format
formatter = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s')
handler.setFormatter(formatter)

#adding the handler to Logging System
logger.addHandler(handler)
logger.error("hello")

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MiguelangelC
Dataiker

Hi,

The 'get_path' function can only be used in the specific case of local folders. Information about this function can be found on this article: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/managed_folders.html#local-vs-non-local

The error message we are getting is quite informative about it too:

Folder is not on the local filesystem (uses fsprovider_sharepoint-server_sharepoint-server_shared-documents), cannot perform direct filesystem access

Fortunately, it is also telling us what we can do:

Use the read/write API instead.

Information about the API can be found in the help: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/python-api/index.html#python-apis

0 Kudos
bon2bone
Level 2
Author

Thanks on the reply.  Could you point me to an API method that is able to return the path of a non-local folder?

On the other hand, maybe I can save locally to DSS and re-copy that log.txt file back to sharepoint?

0 Kudos
JordanB
Dataiker

Hi @bon2bone,

You are receiving this error ("Folder is not on the local filesystem... Use the read/write API instead") because the get_path() method can only be called for managed folders that are stored on the local filesystem of the DSS server. I recommend taking a look at our documentation on Local vs. Non-Local Managed Folders and instead using the various read/download and write/upload APIs to access your managed folder. Please see the code below for example:

folder = dataiku.Folder("enter-folder-id/name")
with
open("local_file_to_upload") as f: folder.upload_stream("name_of_file_in_folder", f)

API reference documentation:  https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/python-api/managed_folders.html#managed-folders

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks!

Jordan

0 Kudos
bon2bone
Level 2
Author

Hello, thanks on the reply. 

For the code below, what is the local file to upload?  I am writing text into log.txt only...

Code ==>

with open("local_file_to_upload") as f:

0 Kudos
JordanB
Dataiker

Hi @bon2bone,

Apologies, the code I provided writes a file to the managed folder. If you want to write data to a file within a managed folder, you could do something like this:

import dataiku

my_str = "hello world"
my_str_as_bytes = str.encode(my_str)
logging_folder = dataiku.Folder("VYKX8FzU")
with logging_folder.get_writer("log.txt") as w:
    w.write(my_str_as_bytes)

Please let me know if that works for you.

Thanks!

Jordan

0 Kudos
bon2bone
Level 2
Author

Could I have the writer in append mode?  E.g. When I rerun the script the 2nd time, log.txt file should have "hello world" 2 times:

hello world
hello world

0 Kudos
bon2bone
Level 2
Author

Finally I am able to wrap my head around and create filesystem folder instead (after that I could write morecode to copy that file back to sharepoint):

- In Flow, + Dataset > Folder.
- Label = logfolder
- Store into = filesystem_folders
- Paritioning = Not partitioned
- Set output to logfolder from Python recipe

Code ==>

import logging
import dataiku
import os.path

logger = logging.getLogger("mylogger")

if logger.hasHandlers():
logger.handlers = []

logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)

#create File for Log
handler = logging.FileHandler(os.path.join(managed_folder_path, "log.txt"))
handler.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)

#log format
formatter = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s')
handler.setFormatter(formatter)

#adding the handler to Logging System
logger.addHandler(handler)
logger.error("hello")

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Thanks for sharing your solution with the rest of the Community @bon2bone

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos