JAVA_NOT_FOUND_ERROR in Managed Folders tutorial - Tabula

Solved!
csanti
Level 1
JAVA_NOT_FOUND_ERROR in Managed Folders tutorial - Tabula

Hello!

While running the Managed Folders tutorial for the Developer path, I encountered an error as follows:

Java Not Found Error: java command is not found from this Python process. Please ensure Java is installed and PATH is set for java

I did a quick search on the discussions, but could not find a similar issue reported.

This error appears when using the tabula.io module in python. It seems there is no java environment variable set.

How can I resolve this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

I am using a py36 code env (also created following along with the Developer learning path).

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @csanti ,

Java would already be installedwhere DSS is running.  There is no requirement for java on your local instance. 

You should be able to speak with your DSS Admins to set JAVA_HOME env variable or let you know where JAVA to set it in your code directly.  

Alternatively, you can skip this section and download un_world_cities, and continue with the tutorial. 

Thanks,

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @csanti ,
The tabula io package requires Java:https://tabula-py.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started.html#requirements

You can add JAVA_HOME directly in your code before doing the import in your code, this will unset once the code executes.

import os

# Set the JAVA_HOME variable to the path of your Java installation, and define the exact path where you have installed java. 

os.environ['JAVA_HOME'] = '/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64'

import tabula

You can also set this :
system-wide (/etc/environment) or session-wide (/home/dataiku/.bashrc, .bash_profile, .profile, etc)

Thanks

csanti
Level 1
Author

Hello @AlexT 

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I do not have java installed in my computer. Do I need to do this installation locally?

Or does dataiku has a container that allows us to run these types of tutorials without having to download sdk locally?

I am trying to understand better how that works, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

csanti

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @csanti ,

Java would already be installedwhere DSS is running.  There is no requirement for java on your local instance. 

You should be able to speak with your DSS Admins to set JAVA_HOME env variable or let you know where JAVA to set it in your code directly.  

Alternatively, you can skip this section and download un_world_cities, and continue with the tutorial. 

Thanks,