will dataiku help know data science?

davidolatomiwa
davidolatomiwa Registered Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

I do not have technical background so when I came to the data field i was finding programming difficult and so i opted for Data Analytics .

I want to know if learning dataiku can help me learn Data Science.

thsnk you

Best Answer

• tgb417
    tgb417 Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS ML Practitioner, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Neuron 2020, Neuron, Registered, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Finalist, Neuron 2021, Neuron 2022, Frontrunner 2022 Finalist, Frontrunner 2022 Winner, Dataiku Frontrunner Awards 2021 Participant, Frontrunner 2022 Participant, Neuron 2023 Posts: 1,598 Neuron
    Answer ✓

@davidolatomiwa

Welcome to the Dataiku Community.

I think that the answer is YES Dataiku can help you on your data Journey.

There are many data science things one can do with Dataiku without programming. So from that point of view Dataiku can help you. The community here is great, and the academy is also useful.

That said learning the principles and practices of Data Science is very important. Because, It is fairly easy to deceive yourself when using the fancy, fairly easy to use tools, that you have a good model or a valid insight. Related to learning Data Science practices and approaches, I found the Future Learn Weka Courses to be helpful when it comes to those principles. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/data-mining-with-weka This is a no code (or very very low code) series of course that teache data science Machine Learning principles and practices. There is a free version that can be found here https://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/mooc/dataminingwithweka/

Second just like when using an MS Excel Spreadsheet at some point you will have to learn to use logic you have write yourself from scratch in the formula bar. There is a formula language in Dataiku. It shows up in several places in DSS most notably as a formula step in a visual recipe. Learning to code these formulas will get you a long way.

You can also leverage code written by others in the form of Dataiku Plug-ins. And by code snip-its you might find here in the forums.

Finnaly, at some point on your journey you will run into something you can’t do without code. I find that the Jupyter Notebooks in DSS are very helpful. Although DSS supports R, SQL, and Python (and I’ve used and use all of them) I tend to use Python for coding tasks. If you are serious about learning Data Science over the longer term I invite you to learn to do some basic coding possibly in Python. If you would like to learn the basics of coding in Python, things like variables, loops, functions… A basic place to start is “Python for Everyone” by Dr Charles Severance. https://www.py4e.com/ A number of years ago you could audit the course for free, learning all of the stuff but not get the certificate. If expense is a challenge for you I’d check to see if you can audit the course.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you are getting on with your data journey.

Answers

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…