Mac OS - MySQL Connection in Dataiku

Options
Gerry Leo
Gerry Leo Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Registered Posts: 45 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm running Version 6.0.4 of the Dataiku DSS on a MacOS, but I'm having difficulties in setting-up MySQL connection in my localhost. I basically followed the instruction found here :

- https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/jdbc.html

- https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/connecting/sql/mysql.html

Each time I tried to connect to my local MySQL instance it threw me the following error:

Failed to load database driver

Failed to load JDBC driver (com.mysql.jdbc.Driver), caused by: ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

This error is typically caused by an installation issue.

More information on this error in DSS documentation

Additional technical details

• Error code: ERR_SQL_CANNOT_LOAD_DRIVER
  • Error type: com.dataiku.dip.exceptions.CodedSQLException
Now I'm pretty sure it's just the matter of setting-up the correct path, though I couldn't figure out as the instruction pointed out, I need to copy the JAR files to the following directory :
DATA_DIR/lib/jdbc folder
But I couldn't find that particular directory on my system. So, if anyone with somewhat similar experience could share their solution here, it'd be greatly appreciated. But as a side note, I was having better luck with PostgreSQL, they're connected seamlessly.
Thanks,

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Alex_Combessie
    Alex_Combessie Alpha Tester, Dataiker Alumni Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

The keyword "DATA_DIR" in https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/jdbc.html depends on where you installed Dataiku DSS.

In the case of the macOS .dmg installer, that DATA_DIR is

/Users/<your_user_name>/Library/DataScienceStudio/dss_home

Alternatively, you can find the DATA_DIR from our user interface, in Administration > Maintenance > System info.

If you want to understand more about what is the Dataiku DSS data directory (a.k.a. the DATA_DIR) I invite you to give this a read: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/operations/datadir.html

Hope it helps,

Alex

• Alex_Combessie
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

You can set that parameter from the Dataiku connection UI, as shown below:

Screenshot 2020-03-12 at 11.16.23.pngHope it helps,

Alex

• Alex_Combessie
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

The error message here is passed from MySQL to the Dataiku interface. This indicates that MySQL does not like this format. The allowed values for this parameter may depend on the version of MySQL you have installed. This page should help: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/time-zone-support.html

Can you try with the value 'UTC' and confirm that it accepts it?

Hope it helps,

Alex

PS: We are 19 Alex's at Dataiku right now. I know... Hence the tagged Alex on the tutorial files is one of my colleagues

• Gerry Leo
    Gerry Leo Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS & SQL, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Registered Posts: 45 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Alex,

They worked like magic

gerryleonugroho_0-1584019958287.png

Thanks for all the help @Alex_Combessie
    , really appreciate all the walkthrough. And please stays safe during the pandemic situation.

Cheers,

• Clément_Stenac
    Clément_Stenac Dataiker, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Registered Posts: 753 Dataiker
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

WIB is indeed not a "time zone" but an "offset to UTC", which may not be valid always. That's a fairly tricky distinction that is mostly due to daylight savings.

For example, Paris is UTC+1 in winter, UTC+2 in summer. The "time zone" called "Europe/Paris" will always be at the correct time of Paris. However the timezone "CET" will only be at the correct time during winter while "CEST" will only be correct during summer. Hence, only "Europe/Paris" is a valid timezone.

In your case, you want to set it to, I guess, "Asia/Jakarta" . While this should ideally be done in MySQL, you should be able to, in the MySQL Connection settings of DSS, add a "Custom JDBC property" with key "serverTimezone" and value "Asia/Jakarta"

Answers

• Gerry Leo
    Options

Thanks Alex, this would solve my current problem. Though now, it threw me another error, but couldn't figure out how to fix this:

The server time zone value 'WIB' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support., caused by: InvalidConnectionAttributeException: The server time zone value 'WIB' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support.

Where's the timezone configuration panel located? I know this must have been outside of the DSS areas but more on to the mysql insted.

Thanks,

• Gerry Leo
    Options

Hi @Alex_Combessie

Thanks for the quick response, but still getting an error, as attached.

gerryleonugroho_0-1584008603436.png

• Alex_Combessie
    Options
  • Gerry Leo
    Options

Hi Alex,

Tried a combination of both with or without the quotes, but still no luck.

gerryleonugroho_0-1584011016105.png

Btw, by any chance, you're "the" (tagged) Alex on the DSS sample tutorial files?

Cheers,

GLN

• CoreyS
    CoreyS Dataiker Alumni, Dataiku DSS Core Designer, Dataiku DSS Core Concepts, Registered Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Gerry Leo
    Options

Thanks Alex, this would solve my current problem. Though now, it threw me another error, but couldn't figure out how to fix this:

The server time zone value 'WIB' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support., caused by: InvalidConnectionAttributeException: The server time zone value 'WIB' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specifc time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support.

Where's the timezone configuration panel located? I know this must have been outside of the DSS areas but more on to the mysql instead.

Thanks,

• Gerry Leo
    Options

Hi @Clément_Stenac
    would try this later on. Again, I love your products.

Setup Info
    Tags
      Help me…