I would like to know how to install Python 3

Solved!
webzest
Level 2
I would like to know how to install Python 3

Hello,

I tried to install python 3 on my UBUNTU 20.4 via Miniconda and directly with the following steps:

REM  Install Python 3.6
sudo apt-get install libreadline-gplv2-dev libncursesw5-dev libssl-dev libsqlite3-dev tk-dev libgdbm-dev libc6-dev libbz2-dev
cd /usr/src
sudo wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.10/Python-3.6.10.tgz
sudo tar xzf Python-3.6.10.tgz
cd Python-3.6.10
sudo ./configure --enable-optimizations
sudo make altinstall
python3.6 -V
pip3.6 -V

However, my Jupyter Notebook in DSS only has Python 2.  How do I add a Python 3 env to the DSS Jupyter Notebook?

CreatePython3.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi,

By default, DSS is installed with Python2.7 built-in env. 

You will need to create Python3.6 code_env. For this navigate to Administration -> Code Envs and create it from New Python Env:

Screenshot 2020-07-29 23.59.20.png

More information can be found here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi,

By default, DSS is installed with Python2.7 built-in env. 

You will need to create Python3.6 code_env. For this navigate to Administration -> Code Envs and create it from New Python Env:

Screenshot 2020-07-29 23.59.20.png

More information can be found here.

0 Kudos
webzest
Level 2
Author

Thank You.  I search for Administration and was able to find the env area to create a new python 3.6 env.

0 Kudos
Benedikt
Level 2

Hey, 

I'm always installing Dataiku choosing Python3 to be default.

Here are the commands to achieve this, directly while installation:
https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/python.html#choosing-the-version-of-python-for-the-b...

Afterwards there is documented how to rebuild the default environment.

Regards

webzest
Level 2
Author

Thank You for the link.  That will definitely help if I need to recreate a new VM with Ubuntu-ready to go.

Also, I am glad to have discovered the Administration area to build new Environments for R and Python, after the installation process.  This area would have been awesome to know ahead of time, but, it was not late in rescuing me or should I say increased my knowledge of the whole process (installing with Python or installing and then create the required environments with Administration).  Personally, while looking at the process, I think the DSS Manged Environments are much better because one can upgrade, install, and maintain a nice set of environments (replacing the need to install and manage them with conda).

0 Kudos