Is the "Admin" privilege necessary to create branches in a project?

Solved!
SebasBer
Level 2
Is the "Admin" privilege necessary to create branches in a project?

Hello,

I am an administrator on our DSS servers and can create branches in project without issue. However it seems that unless a non-admin user created the project they cannot create branches (or switch branches) in a project unless they are made "Admin" under the "Security" tab, either by giving the permission directly or to a group they are a member of. I would prefer giving people the least privileges possible, is there a way to give users/groups the ability to create branches without making them admins of the project?

Operating system used: amazonlinux (2)

Operating system used: amazonlinux (2)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Yes you do need to be either a system Admin, project Admin or project Owner as the branching impacts every user using the project (as per the documentation only one branch can be active at one time). That's why you may want to use project duplication rather than Git branching as it only requires project read permissions and doesn't impact other users.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Turribeach

I think you should give this section of the documentation a read:

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/collaboration/version-control.html#using-projects-per-branch

"We strongly recommend using duplicated projects. It is important to understand that a given DSS project can only be on one branch at any given time. If you switch the branch of the current project, this will affect all collaborators, and you canโ€™t work on multiple branches at once. In addition, when using the governance capabilities, not using the recommended duplicated projects may lead to the loss of some governance data (ex: workflows attached to Saved Model Versions or Bundles)."

0 Kudos
SebasBer
Level 2
Author

I saw that and we considered using that approach but we want to investigate our options before we decide. Do you know if the "Admin" privilege is necessary to create branches? I can't find any information about this in the link you sent.

0 Kudos

Yes you do need to be either a system Admin, project Admin or project Owner as the branching impacts every user using the project (as per the documentation only one branch can be active at one time). That's why you may want to use project duplication rather than Git branching as it only requires project read permissions and doesn't impact other users.

0 Kudos
SebasBer
Level 2
Author

Ok, thank you!

0 Kudos