Trouble creating custom Python code environments

martyg
Level 2
Trouble creating custom Python code environments

I am trying to create a new Python Code Env in my locally installed instance of Dataiku.  The only non-conda based option is Python 3.7.  All the other options (Python 3.5, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, 3.11) are listed as "Not available" in the dropdown.   I have Python 3.10.11 locally installed, but somehow Dataiku is not recognizing it.  Any idea how I can create a Code Env with a more recent version of Python (Python 3.10)?  

Operating system used: Windows

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CatalinaS
Dataiker

To create a code env with python 3.10, you need to install this python version on the DSS server host.
โ€‹
Once this version is installed, you need to make sure that the python version is in the path of DSS user. For this, you need to update the DATA_DIR/bin/env-site.sh file by adding the following line:
โ€‹

export PATH=$PATH:path/to/desired_python

โ€‹
Then restart DSS to pick up the change made in DATADIR/bin/env-site.sh.
โ€‹
Once DSS is restarted, you should be able to create code environments using python 3.10.
โ€‹

martyg
Level 2
Author

Hi CatalinaS,

Thanks for the suggestion.  

I found the env-site.sh file here:

C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Dataiku\DataScienceStudio\dss_home\bin

I edited it based on your suggestion:

# This file is sourced last by DSS startup scripts
# You can add local customizations to it

export PATH=$PATH:"C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\python.exe"

Unfortunately, nothing changed.  I still only have access to Python 3.7, and not Python 3.10.  Did I mess something up?  Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

-Marty

0 Kudos
Turribeach

The path should point to the directory where the EXE is, not to the EXE itself. Also env-site.sh is for Linux systems. On Windows you need do it in a different place:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

Once you do this restart you machine. Then open a CMD prompt and type "python" and verify that it loads python v3.10.

0 Kudos