Share recipes

davidmakovoz
Share recipes
Is it possible to export/import recipes?

I've done export/import of whole projects, and all the recipes were preserved with fidelity.

Can one do it with an individual recipe?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Liev
Dataiker Alumni
Hi davidmakozov,

You can copy recipes or other flow objects across projects or create new projects with the selected elements. You can choose elements of your flow and then use the Copy menu to select the most appropriate option.

Recipes on their own are probably not semantically sound in the context of import/export. It would mean that a recipe could "do" something without any elements around it such as datasets, folders, or being part of a project.

If you're looking to run code without the context of a project, then perhaps it's worth looking into Macros.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
davidmakovoz
Author
Hi Liev,
You are right, I cannot run a recipe without data.
I can reuse a recipe within a project by going to the input/output tab and replacing the input and output, as long as the input is compatible, obviously. So there is an 'entity', a set of operations, that persists during such an operation. In principle, it can be exported.
Also, there could be an option of exporting a recipe with the associated data, just like exporting project exports all local data.
I'll look into Macros, thank you.
0 Kudos
MarkPundurs
Level 3

How do I copy a recipe across projects? If I select one and choose Copy, I see only the option to create a copy within the same project?

0 Kudos
tgb417

@MarkPundurs ,

You did not mention what kind of recipe you want to copy.  If you are trying to copy steps from a Prepare Recipe in one project to steps in a Prepare Recipe in a different project.  See if this helps

https://knowledge.dataiku.com/latest/kb/data-prep/prepare-recipe/How-to-copy-paste-Prepare-recipe-st...

The way this works is that the copy is putting a Json Description of the steps into your local computer's clipboard buffer.  Then in the destination project you can paste those steps into an existing recipe that is already connected to datasets.

If you are trying to copy other kinds of recipes let us know.  The challenge with copying recipes is that recipes know about their source and destination datasets.  So copies can be a bit challenging.

--Tom
0 Kudos
MarkPundurs
Level 3

That article says, "Of course, it is possible to copy the entire Prepare recipe, as with any visual recipe."

That's exactly what I don't know how to do - not between projects, anyway.

0 Kudos