Scenario Reporting to the user who ran the scenario

anish_dassi
Level 1
Scenario Reporting to the user who ran the scenario

Hey Everyone,

I have a scenario setup in DSS, and what I'm looking to do is send an update via mail(or teams) to any person who runs this scenario - only to this specific person. I'm planning to do this reporting for both successful & failed scenarios.

Under the 'Reporters' section of my scenario, there is a field for 'Recipients' which can leverage formula based template. However, in the available DSS variables at the bottom(snip attached below), I don't see a variable for user_id, using which I could have used as the recipient.

Additionally, using a python script in my scenario I have been able to store the user_id of the person who ran the scenario into a global variable on DSS - however, I'm not sure how to use that information to send a mail to that said user on user_id@org.com.

Any next steps, leads or documentation on how I can move towards a solution would be super helpful and appreciated. Thanks!  

image.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Marlan

Hi @anish_dassi,

If you have stored the user ID in a DSS variable, then you should be able to write the following in the recipients field: ${user_id}@org.com

I have definitely referenced variables in the recipients field so know that works. I'd think the above syntax should work but if not, you could in your Python script, set a variable to the full email address rather than just the user ID.

Marlan 

0 Kudos
anish_dassi
Level 1
Author

Hey @Marlan,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I stored the entire user mail_id(user_id@org.com) in a global variable 'user_mail_id', however, when I enter that as my recipient in the form of - ${user_mail_id} - I don't receive the mail at the end of my scenario.

I tried to do this both as a part of scenario reporting, as well as adding it as another step in my scenario, but neither of things worked. Any other workarounds which you may have come across? 

0 Kudos
Marlan

Hi @anish_dassi,

Sorry to hear it's still not working for you.

Some questions and suggestions to narrow down what's happening... I assume but just to confirm you can send an email to yourself if you hard code in your email address? And that you get the email when you run the scenario; I'm wanting to confirm that the scenario results and email reporter run condition are such that the email gets sent.  

To make sure that the variable is what you expect, include it in the body of an email that you have hard coded to be sent to you. To do that, in the email Reporter, set the Message source to "Inline" and specify ${user_mail_id} in the text box (email body) that appears.

Marlan

0 Kudos