Invalid argument: MySQL Schema too wide

Solved!
casper
Level 2
Invalid argument: MySQL Schema too wide

I'm trying to transfer data from the file based architecture to a MariaDB ColumnStore database.

I however come across this error:

"An invalid argument has been encountered : MySQL Schema too wide (maximum is 64K - strings alone currently require 92696)"

Am I importing too many columns? Or too many characters in total? Why wouldn't I be able to import as many columns as I'd like? It seems to be limiting my import.

I suspect it to be a Dataiku problem since I am sure I've had more columns in there before.

See attached screenshot for a complete view:

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KimmyC
Dataiker

Hi Casper,

By design, MySQL restricts datasets to a maximum schema size of 64K which is actually 16K characters. Right now, your output dataset schema is more than 64k, so thatโ€™s why this error is thrown. 

Please go to the schema settings of the output dataset and shrink the values of the columns. Iโ€™ve attached a screenshot of the schema settings and where you are supposed to change the value. Please note that this will most likely take a bit of trial and error, so you would have to adjust the values in a few columns and then re-run recipe to see if the error is thrown again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KimmyC
Dataiker

Hi Casper,

By design, MySQL restricts datasets to a maximum schema size of 64K which is actually 16K characters. Right now, your output dataset schema is more than 64k, so thatโ€™s why this error is thrown. 

Please go to the schema settings of the output dataset and shrink the values of the columns. Iโ€™ve attached a screenshot of the schema settings and where you are supposed to change the value. Please note that this will most likely take a bit of trial and error, so you would have to adjust the values in a few columns and then re-run recipe to see if the error is thrown again.

0 Kudos