How do I use a notebook exposed to a project from within that project?

MarkPundurs
Level 3
How do I use a notebook exposed to a project from within that project?

I can expose a notebook from project A to project B - but how do I make use of that notebook from within project B? I can find nothing in the notebooks tab allowing importation of an exposed notebook.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi, @MarkPundurs, thank you for posting! Can you provide any further details on the thread to assist users in helping you find a solution (insert examples like DSS version etc.) Also, can you let us know if youโ€™ve tried any fixes already?This should lead to a quicker response from the community.

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos
MarkPundurs
Level 3
Author

DSS 9.0.1

From one project's Security > Exposed elements window, I exposed a notebook to another project. I open that other project and see no indication that the exposed notebook is available. Where should I be looking?

0 Kudos
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @MarkPundurs,

Thank you for providing the extra detail.  It is the case that exposing a Jupyter notebook only allows users in the "exposed to project" to publish the notebook to a dashboard: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/security/exposed-objects.html#jupyter-notebook 

So you should see the shared notebook if you select + Notebook from a dashboard in your project B, like this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png

โ€ƒ
If you want to actually have a copy of a notebook from project A in project B for users to run and use, I would suggest one of the following approaches for sharing the notebook code. 

1. Export and import the notebook file.  In the notebook in Project A, select File > Download As > Notebook to download an ipynb file of the notebook.  In project B, navigate to the notebook tab and select New Notebook > Upload and upload the ipynb file export from project A. This will create a copy of the notebook in Project B. 
2. Starting in DSS 9, you can sync your notebooks to Git, and then import notebooks from Git. To do this, you could select "Add" from the righthand navigation to associate a notebook with a remote git repo.  Then you can "commit and push" to push the notebook to a git repository:

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.01.09 PM.png

Once you do this, from Project B, you can now pull in the notebook by selecting the Notebooks tab > + New Notebook > Import from Git:

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.03.01 PM.png

Then you can pull from the repo that Project A pushed to, to pull the notebook code into a notebook in Project B:

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 5.03.30 PM.png

โ€ƒ

I hope that's helpful.  Let us know if you have any questions about these approaches. 

Thanks,
Sarina 

0 Kudos