Got the error "API Key not provided" when call to python API endpoint

Solved!
manhnam91
Level 2
Got the error "API Key not provided" when call to python API endpoint

I have created a python function API endpoint in API designer, when I run the test query, it works well.

After that, I created an API key for this API service, but when I call the public API endpoint via Postman (i found the guide here: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/apinode/first-service-apideployer.html) :

URL: mydomain.com/public/api/v1/<api service id>/<endpoint>/run

Header:

Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8

Authorization: Basic <my api key>

I got the response:

{
"errorType": "com.dataiku.dip.exceptions.NotAuthenticatedException",
"message": "API Key not provided (Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)",
"detailedMessage": "API Key not provided (Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)",
"detailedMessageHTML": "<span><span class=\"err-msg\">API Key not provided (Basic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)</span></span>",
"stackTrace": []
}

Even when i checked to "Allow public access to this service (no authentication)", i got the same error.

Anyone know the cause of this error, please help, many thanks.

Operating system used: Ubuntu 20.04

0 Kudos
1 Solution
manhnam91
Level 2
Author

ah I found the cause, I need to create basic auth by an empty user and the password is the API key first,  and I also need to restart the API service after changing the security config

View solution in original post

3 Replies
manhnam91
Level 2
Author

ah I found the cause, I need to create basic auth by an empty user and the password is the API key first,  and I also need to restart the API service after changing the security config

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Thank you for sharing your solution with the Community @manhnam91

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
0 Kudos

Just a quick remark, although this post is almost two years old. This solution has helped me, but as of today it does not work exactly as described.

To set up authetication via API key, basic auth is indeed the way to go. But the API key needs to be entered as the user (with empty password) and not as the password.

This makes a difference because (before Base64 encoding) the tool (e.g. curl, Postman, etc.) adds a colon after the API key in the username case, whereas it is put in front of the API key in the password case.