Export recipe to local windows folders

Solved!
OD
Level 2
Export recipe to local windows folders

Hi there,

I am working with DSS on my local machine with the Windows Subsystem for Linux (Ubuntu). Is it possible to automate the import & export of files from & to my local windows folders with visual recipes as part of my flow? I have noticed there is an export recipe, but I don't know if / how to export to the windows folders with that recipe?

If the short answer is "no", would someone have a code recipe to share to do so? Note: I am not familiar with Linux, Python etc. But I understand how coding works, and know how to automate such tasks with VBA macros in excel files.

Thanks!

O.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
apichery
Dataiker

Hi !

Yes, it is possible to import/export files from/to a local Windows folder with DSS.

The easiest way is to create a new filesystem connection linked to a Windows folder. Here is how to do it:

- In Windows explorer, go to Drive C and creates a new folder named "DSS"

- Start DSS, open your Web browser and go to DSS Administration > Connections.

- Click "New connection" and select "Server Filesystem"

- In "New connection name" field, enter "windows_filesystem"

- In root path field, enter "/mnt/c/DSS".

- Click Create

You now have a filesystem connection that can read/write into the C:\DSS folder.

folder-windows.png

Open a project, go to the Flow and create a new Folder:

- Click [+ Dataset] button and select "Folder". Choose a label (DSS for example) and click OK.

You can now upload files from DSS into this folder. They will be stored in C:\DSS\<folder id> where <folder id> is the internal id of this folder (This ID will not change over time).

To export a Dataset into this folder, you can use the "Export to folder" recipe and select the DSS folder we just created.

export-recipe.png

Et voilร !

View solution in original post

7 Replies
apichery
Dataiker

Hi !

Yes, it is possible to import/export files from/to a local Windows folder with DSS.

The easiest way is to create a new filesystem connection linked to a Windows folder. Here is how to do it:

- In Windows explorer, go to Drive C and creates a new folder named "DSS"

- Start DSS, open your Web browser and go to DSS Administration > Connections.

- Click "New connection" and select "Server Filesystem"

- In "New connection name" field, enter "windows_filesystem"

- In root path field, enter "/mnt/c/DSS".

- Click Create

You now have a filesystem connection that can read/write into the C:\DSS folder.

folder-windows.png

Open a project, go to the Flow and create a new Folder:

- Click [+ Dataset] button and select "Folder". Choose a label (DSS for example) and click OK.

You can now upload files from DSS into this folder. They will be stored in C:\DSS\<folder id> where <folder id> is the internal id of this folder (This ID will not change over time).

To export a Dataset into this folder, you can use the "Export to folder" recipe and select the DSS folder we just created.

export-recipe.png

Et voilร !

Rohit1703
Level 2

Hi @apichery @OD  , 

I am not able to get "Server Filesystem" in the connections. please guide here. screenshot attached.

0 Kudos
apichery
Dataiker

Hi !

In your case, it looks like you are using the Cloud version of DSS.

DSS running on a remote server, it cannot have access to your local filesystem. If you want to upload files, the easiest way is to directly upload them directly in your project:

- in the Flow, simply drag'n drop your CSV, Excel, files

- Or select "+ Dataset" > Upload

SCR-20240207-ocgp.png

โ€ƒ

Hope this helps,
Arnaud

0 Kudos
OD
Level 2
Author

Thank you Apichery, and apologies for the late acknowledgment! I didn't know we could navigate to the Windows Drive with a simple /mnt/c/ command ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm quite clear on the export side. On automating the import side, if I had 1000 csv files in a windows folder, to which I would want to automatically apply the same flow to get to a 1000 output csv files in an export folder, would there be an easy way to proceed without code?

0 Kudos
nmoreir2
Level 1

Hi,

How about when the DSS is running from a server? How can similar export to a windows folder be achieved?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
apichery
Dataiker

Hi!

It depends what you want to achieve. Where is your folder located?

- If it is on the same Window server, you can follow the steps of the previous answer.

- If it is located on another Windows server, you need to make it accessible to DSS. You could mount this remote folder onto a local directory on the server running DSS using Samba for example (https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/samba-windows-linux)

0 Kudos
nmoreir2
Level 1

Hi 

the target folder would be umbrais case located in the userโ€™s laptop. not in another folder

thanks 

0 Kudos