Export DataIku dataset to Excel

grauco
Level 1
Export DataIku dataset to Excel

Dear experts, 

I have been trying to understand how I could export an existing DataIku dataset to Excel. By studying the documentation, I suppose there might be an API functionality allowing me to achieve it, but unfortunately I could not find it.

More in details:

• I have created a dataset in my DataIku project using a python recipe;
  • I would like to understand if it would be possible to export this dataset to Excel, and eventually how to do it.

I really thank you in advance for any help you may give me.

Giorgia

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Andrey
Dataiker Alumni

Hi Giorgia,

Exporting to Excel (and to other formats) is available from the right panel on the flow. You have to click on a dataset, then on "Export" at the top of the right panel, and then chose the Excel format.

The dataset will be downloaded as xlsx file.

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 17.22.11.png

Andrey Avtomonov
R&D Engineer @ Dataiku
tim-wright
Level 5

Well @grauco , it looks like @Andrey posted the solution while I was drafting my response :). Disregard the duplicate information

0 Kudos
grauco
Level 1
Author

Hi @Andrey,

Thanks a lot for your fast and kind reply.

I apologize if I didn't explain clearly my needs. What I am trying to understand is if there would be a way to access the dataset from Excel (really from the Data -> GetData -> From... tabs), without the need to explicitly connect to DataIku once the dataset has been created and published on the base.

Thanks again a lot and kind regards,

Giorgia

0 Kudos
Andrey
Dataiker Alumni

I don't think we have any special integration with Excel apart from export to xlsx files. 

However as I can see Excel supports import from SQL server DB, so you may try to write into SQL Server Dataset using your python code in Dataiku and read it by Excel from another end, but without knowing your use case it looks like an overkill.

Andrey Avtomonov
R&D Engineer @ Dataiku
Ignacio_Toledo

Hi @grauco! Besides @Andrey's suggestion, what about using a recipe to export the dataset as an excel file into a filesystem that could be accessed from Excel? Or to export the dataset as excel (with a python recipe) into a one drive connection or something similar?

tim-wright
Level 5

Giorgia,

yes it is possible to export a dataset to Excel. Within your flow, double click on the dataset that you want to export. Select "Actions" in the top right to bring out the panel with options for what you can do with the dataset. There should be an option at the top called "export" -- see image below.

export.PNG

From within the dialogue that pops up, you can select an xlsx format for which to download the data to your local machine. You probably wouldn't want to try this from a particularly large dataset, but I think that should do it for you. 

export_xlsx.PNG