Easy solution to allow viewers to access to data

luong_bayard
Level 2
Easy solution to allow viewers to access to data

Hi everybody,

My team is starting to develop a webapp in order to give non-technical users with viewer access to be independant on their needs of data extract.

However, during the development of the webapp, we found it having many limitations like the development requires a lot of time and effort, it consumes a lot of ressources from the instances, etc.

I used to work on older solutions such as Business Objects where I could rather easily create pre-build query with some parameter that an user can change (dropdown-list and such) then launch the query to obtain KPIs or extract a list of data (limited by the designer).

We use Tableau to present the KPIs and different charts to final user but it is not made to extract thousands of row of data and sometimes our end users need those data.

Does any users have some ideas that I missed to easily give an user with viewer licence only the capacity to extract data? I find that quite surprising that a new and advanced solution such as Dataiku doesn't give us that kind of option that older solutions did. The webapp seems to do the job but it takes too much ressources and efforts.

Any idea is much appreciated,

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,

Operating system used: Window

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi @luong_bayard ,

Explorer profile (https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/security/user-profiles.html)  would allow users to run scenarios and use Dataiku Application https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/applications/index.html which should align with your needs.

A Reader can also export a dataset if they have permission on the project to export data.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 12.31.09โ€ฏPM.png
They can filter datasets and export the filtered dataset from the explore view of the dataset :
Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 12.28.55โ€ฏPM.png

If the filtering available in explire is insufficient and you need to build ad-hoc queries based on user input, you can use a webapp or dataiku application.

0 Kudos