Survey banner
Switching to Dataiku - a new area to help users who are transitioning from other tools and diving into Dataiku! CHECK IT OUT

Commas in Number format combined with Rounding in the Prepare Reciepe

Solved!
maleehababa
Level 1
Commas in Number format combined with Rounding in the Prepare Reciepe

I have a column of USD figures and I have used the Prepare recipe to do the following 2 functions:

1. Convert Number format from Raw to English

2. Round the values to 0 decimal places

The column is detected as a Double - Integer. before trying to do these 2 functions. It seems I cannot do these 2 functions together as converting the numbers causes the values to not be recognised as a Double. I have tried changing the Double to several other options but none of them help to fix the issue. additionally it is showing the figures with at least 10 decimal places .

For context I am trying to publish USD figures to a dashboard by adding comma and round to an integer so that it can be easily viewed by senior management

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Turribeach

The formatted number should only be used for presentation purposes, key the original column intact and create a new column for presentation while using the original column for calculations. For charts you have options to apply separate formatting to numbers, see: 

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/visualization/formatting.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies
maleehababa
Level 1
Author

Playing around with it further, it seems I can get it to have commas and also round it up in the Prepare recipe, but it turns it into a string so is not really helpful if I want to create charts for the dashboard out of it. Is there another way to make this possible?

0 Kudos
Turribeach

The formatted number should only be used for presentation purposes, key the original column intact and create a new column for presentation while using the original column for calculations. For charts you have options to apply separate formatting to numbers, see: 

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/visualization/formatting.html