Change data source for a chart in a Dashboard

harshadevireddy
Level 1
Change data source for a chart in a Dashboard

I'm trying to duplicate the existing charts in a dashboard. I would like the data for the new charts to come from a different table with the same column names in my project. How can I achieve this? Is it possible to edit the datasource that the chart is built on? 

7 Replies
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi @harshadevireddy 

As far as know, this is not possible from UI. When the chart is created -> it's tied to the dataset. When you copy the chart, the corresponding config file just has the same link to this dataset. 

The only possible (not recommended/supported) way that I can think of is to find insight ID inside 

DATA_DIR/config/projects/<PROJECT_KEY>/insights/ directory and manually change 

"datasetSmartName" to the one you need. 

0 Kudos
harshadevireddy
Level 1
Author

Hi @sergeyd,

Thanks for the response. I'm working on my company's shared environment which is maintained by the IT team. Is this something that I can do as a user? If so where should I look for the folder path you mentioned?

0 Kudos
sergeyd
Dataiker

The only thing that I can think of is to write a python program (within Jupyter notebook) that reads the file from OS filesystem, parses and updates JSON but that's something that I wouldn't recommend doing as incorrectly updated JSON might break corresponding chart on the dashboard. 

0 Kudos
tanguy

this have also been an issue in our company: we needed to copy/paste dashboards by pointing them on new datasets, but as of today this is not possible...

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi @tanguy  the Product Ideas board is here to let you share and exchange your ideas on how to improve Dataiku so please feel free to utilize it! Here are some resources to help get you started:

How to suggest Dataiku ideas 
Participating on the Product Ideas board 
Suggest an idea

I hope this helps!

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
tanguy
SarinaS
Dataiker

Hi @tanguy,

I wanted to update you that the ability to copy charts from one dataset to another has been added in DSS 12.2: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/release_notes/12.html#charts.

Thanks,
Sarina