Calling Python code from Shiny webapp using reticulate

Solved!
info-rchitect
Level 6
Calling Python code from Shiny webapp using reticulate

Hi,

I want to test out calling Python from a Shiny webapp using https://rstudio.github.io/reticulate/index.html .  I believe I will need to specify my `virtualenv`, which i would equate to my dataiku Python code environment.  Is there a Shiny function to get the path to a code environment?

thx

Operating system used: Windows 10

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi, 

No function, in particular, could provide the path to the Python Code env. You would need to determine this yourself and hard code this path would be :

DATADIR/code-envs/python/<code-env-name/bin/python3

Thanks,

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi, 

No function, in particular, could provide the path to the Python Code env. You would need to determine this yourself and hard code this path would be :

DATADIR/code-envs/python/<code-env-name/bin/python3

Thanks,

info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

so if my webapp is at /data/dataiku/data_dir/tmp/myproject/web_apps/QxSZRxY, is the data dir == '/data/dataiku/data_dir'?

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Yes,  The datadir would be  /data/dataiku/data_dir/ 

0 Kudos
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

OK so after confirming the path did the following:

library(reticulate)

use_virtualenv("/data/dataiku/data_dir/code-envs/python/mycodeenv")

Produces the following:

. Warning: Error in : '/data/dataiku/data_dir/code-envs/python/mycodeenv/bin/python' was not built with a shared library.reticulate can only bind to copies of Python built with '--enable-shared'.53: stop52: stopf  51: use_python  50: use_virtualenv   1: shiny::runAppError : '/data/dataiku/data_dir/code-envs/python/mycodeenv/bin/python' was not built with a shared library.reticulate can only bind to copies of Python built with '--enable-shared'.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

**EDIT**:  @AlexT  Could this be as simple as changing this command?

command : /data/dataiku/data_dir/bin/python /data/dataiku/dataiku-dss-10.0.3/scripts/virtualenv.pyz -p python3.7 /data/dataiku/data_dir/code-envs/python/mycodeenv

NEW:

command : /data/dataiku/data_dir/bin/python /data/dataiku/dataiku-dss-10.0.3/scripts/virtualenv.pyz -p python3.7 /data/dataiku/data_dir/code-envs/python/mycodeenv --enable-shared

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi,

I believe the issue is from the fact your don't have python3-dev installed on the OS.

You will need to install python3-dev package and rebuild the code env and try again. 

Similar issue reported here : https://github.com/rstudio/reticulate/issues/637 

0 Kudos
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

@AlexT 

I rebuilt my code environment with `python-dev-tools` and still get the same error.

rebuild_dku_code_env.png

But when I check the code environment logs, the log file outdated:

createPythonEnv.log8.43 KBTuesday, 16 August

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi,

Can you confirm if you ran: yum install -y python3-devel.x86_64 
Also did are you using OS python 3 or did you install python from source?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

@AlexT 

I am just using dataiku to build my code environment so I am not specifying anything special here.  I added `python-dev-tools` to my installed packages and selected 'Rebuild env' and that is it.  You keep mentioning the OS. To me, that is all handled by dataiku.  Sorry a bit confused here.

thx

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Sorry if I wasn't clear you need to install python3-dev/python3-devel on the OS since the reticulate package requires it for it to work. As explained in the issue here:

https://github.com/rstudio/reticulate/issues/495#issuecomment-489304420

0 Kudos
info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

@AlexT Do you mean our IT department that manages dataiku has to install this?  I am just a user that owns a project.

0 Kudos
AlexT
Dataiker

Yes the OS dependencies would need to be installed by your DSS /Systems Admin

info-rchitect
Level 6
Author

@AlexT ,

We were able to get it working by installing python3-dev on DSS.  

Thx!