Git repo integration for API Designer

It would be great if there was a way to connect a remote git repo to the API designer, like it is for the project library.

That way we could easily backup and sync python API code to a remote repo. Versioning is a bit iffy right now for pure code python API endpoint development.

1 Comment
fsergot
Dataiker

Hello @Antal ,

I understand the need but I would like to challenge it as it does not really fit in what we see for Git integrations. Broadly speaking, you have 2 types of git integrations: for the whole project & for the project libraries.
Both are answering different needs: the whole project is for history and rollback. The project lib is for standard development practices.
API endpoints but also other python pieces in a project (such as python recipes or custom python model metrics) do not have dedicated git integrations because they are supposed to be simple pieces of code leveraging Project libraries for the more complex part.
In this approach, the project lib does require more advanced workflows, hence the dedicated Git integration. Whereas other parts do not require it, and might even make them more complex to use.
That being said, there are probably cases and working organizations where this would be beneficial, and that may be your case. Do not hesitate to elaborate.

Status changed to: Gathering Input

Hello @Antal ,

I understand the need but I would like to challenge it as it does not really fit in what we see for Git integrations. Broadly speaking, you have 2 types of git integrations: for the whole project & for the project libraries.
Both are answering different needs: the whole project is for history and rollback. The project lib is for standard development practices.
API endpoints but also other python pieces in a project (such as python recipes or custom python model metrics) do not have dedicated git integrations because they are supposed to be simple pieces of code leveraging Project libraries for the more complex part.
In this approach, the project lib does require more advanced workflows, hence the dedicated Git integration. Whereas other parts do not require it, and might even make them more complex to use.
That being said, there are probably cases and working organizations where this would be beneficial, and that may be your case. Do not hesitate to elaborate.