DSS - > Tableau -> Tableau Server

Solved!
emate
Level 5
DSS - > Tableau -> Tableau Server

Hi All,

I am looking for a guidance /tips on how to set up in most efficient way a DSS output with Tableau, to give an end-user a best experience in using a dashboard.

So to sum up I have a DSS flow ready, and my output is not pretty "big" (~50k rows / 10 columns), on the other hand I have few calculations (LODs, Custom date filters) that might affect performance, this is why I am lookin for a best (in terms of performance) way to establish a connection between my data / tableau / server.

My data will be refreshed every month, so my first guess would be to use some kind of extract and then connect it to a tableau? Would that below is the best way to go? Also could someone explain me how this should work? I mean should I extract this data once a month to my Tableau server and then use this extracted data on the server as a datasource and connect it to a tableau dashboard?

https://www.dataiku.com/product/plugins/tableau-hyper-export/

Thanks for any tips.

1 Solution
AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @emate 

You could download the data to your computer and then upload it to Tableau Server as a data source or you could use the Tableau plugin to do that for you.

Once the data is in Tableau Server however, whatโ€™ll make all the difference in terms of performance is how youโ€™ve designed and built the workbook itself.

Iโ€™d suggest ensuring that the calculations are optimized for speed, youโ€™ve pushed calculations โ€˜lowerโ€™ (maybe even out of Tableau, if needed), choose at which level your filters should be applied (since they occur in different ordersโ€”LODs are great fun!), reducing unnecessary marks in a viz, etc to reduce query load.

The Tableau Community site has a mountain of resources to help you optimize your workbooks and dashboards; Iโ€™d suggest heading over there too and looking at discussions around filters/calculations/performance!

Best,
Ashley

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @emate 

You could download the data to your computer and then upload it to Tableau Server as a data source or you could use the Tableau plugin to do that for you.

Once the data is in Tableau Server however, whatโ€™ll make all the difference in terms of performance is how youโ€™ve designed and built the workbook itself.

Iโ€™d suggest ensuring that the calculations are optimized for speed, youโ€™ve pushed calculations โ€˜lowerโ€™ (maybe even out of Tableau, if needed), choose at which level your filters should be applied (since they occur in different ordersโ€”LODs are great fun!), reducing unnecessary marks in a viz, etc to reduce query load.

The Tableau Community site has a mountain of resources to help you optimize your workbooks and dashboards; Iโ€™d suggest heading over there too and looking at discussions around filters/calculations/performance!

Best,
Ashley

emate
Level 5
Author

Hi @AshleyW 

Sure, I will do that. 

As for this case, I already reduced dataset size and complexity to it's limit.

I will look into the calculations and visualizations itself but I since, in this dashboard, the idea is to give end-user a lot of 'freedom' in terms of filters/custom dates are calculated dynamically, so I thought maybe I should also take care of the optimal way to set up this connection DSS -> Tableau, but now if I think about it, since the optimal way is to get extract, and I will be doing it once a month , DSS won't be some kind of limitation in terms of performance.

Thanks for your answer!