Can't write with Google Sheets Plugin - JSON serializsation with datetime not possible

cuezumo01
Level 1
Can't write with Google Sheets Plugin - JSON serializsation with datetime not possible

Hi folks,

I've successfully set up the Google Sheets Plugin and it works smoothly, with one exception: 
I can't write data with date format to any google sheet. 

The error notification says "Job failed: Error in Python process: At line 69: <class 'TypeError'>: Object of type 'datetime' is not JSON serializable" 

It doesn't matter which value interpretation I choose (RAW or USER-ENTERED), it fails with both. 

Does anybody know how to solve this?
Would appreciate any hints.

Thanks,

cuezumo01

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jereze
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Richard,

Thank you for reporting the issue.
I can confirm this is a bug. I documented it on the github repo. We will address it in a later release of the plugin.

Meanwhile, I can suggest two workarounds:

1. You can convert the type of the column to "String", for example using the prepare recipe:

Xnip2020-05-26_15-17-58.jpg

2. Only the append recipe seems concerned. So if it fits your use case, you can also place a Google Sheets dataset as the ouput of a recipe and the spreadsheet will be cleared and receive a full copy of the dataset.

Cheers,

Jeremy, Product Manager at Dataiku
cuezumo01
Level 1
Author

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your reply. 

Yeah, I also thought of this simply work-around, it should serve most of the purposes.

Are you sure about the write recipe? For me both the append and write recipes don't work with the date format. The same error pops up.

best, cuezumo01

0 Kudos
jereze
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

We fixed the issue in version 1.1.1 of the plugin. For the append recipe.

I was not able to reproduce the issue when using the Google Sheet dataset as the ouput of a recipe.

Cheers,

Jeremy, Product Manager at Dataiku
0 Kudos

Labels

?
Labels (3)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku