Upgrade Dataiku 10 to 11.4

Solved!
rafael_rosado97
Level 4
Upgrade Dataiku 10 to 11.4

Hi, everyone

I installed Dataiku 10 using AWS marketplace, but I want to upgrade de version to 11.4. How can I do this?

Can I use the cloning instance method as metioned here? If so, I don't understand what it means when mentioning the Installing flag and the Graphite reporting. Can you explaint it to me?

Thanks!!

Operating system used: Linux 2

1 Solution
JordanB
Dataiker

@rafael_rosado97,

Apologies, I should also mention that you do not need to clone the instance (unless you would like to keep running the old version in addition to the new version). The more common way of upgrading is to do an in-place upgrade, which does not involve changing the installid or graphite server prefix. To do an in-place upgrade, follow the steps provided here. Note, when running the install command - point to the same DATA_DIR as your old version. Also, make sure to read the post-upgrade tasks. 

dataiku-dss-NEWVERSION/installer.sh -d DATA_DIR -u

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JordanB
Dataiker

Hi @rafael_rosado97,

Cloning your instance and upgrading will keep your old instance of DSS and create a new upgraded instance with a new DATADIR. On the new instance, you'll need to change the installid flag in the $DATADIR/install.ini file by setting a random string:

[general]
nodetype = design
installid = miLAcwK1T2Fmyctvxe0aovoE #change to any other string with a-zA-Z0-9 format

If graphite reporting is enabled on your current DSS instance, you would want to change the prefix under Administration > Settings > Misc on the new instance:

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 11.51.30 AM.png

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Jordan

0 Kudos
JordanB
Dataiker

@rafael_rosado97,

Apologies, I should also mention that you do not need to clone the instance (unless you would like to keep running the old version in addition to the new version). The more common way of upgrading is to do an in-place upgrade, which does not involve changing the installid or graphite server prefix. To do an in-place upgrade, follow the steps provided here. Note, when running the install command - point to the same DATA_DIR as your old version. Also, make sure to read the post-upgrade tasks. 

rafael_rosado97
Level 4
Author

Thank you very much for your prompt response, @JordanB !!

If I follow an in-place upgrade and I would keep my DATA_DIR of my old version, how can I do that?

Do I write my Data directory of my old version in DATA_DIR? 

0 Kudos
JordanB
Dataiker

@rafael_rosado97,

If you do an upgrade in-place, the data_dir does not change, so you would point to the only data_dir and run the command after installing the new version of DSS: dataiku-dss-NEWVERSION/installer.sh -d DATA_DIR -u

As opposed to upgrade by cloning, you would do the following.

โ€ข Copy the datadir (cp -R <source_folder> <destination_folder>)
โ€ข Change installid in the copy
โ€ข Upgrade the copy

Thanks!

Jordan

rafael_rosado97
Level 4
Author

@JordanB thakn you for your answer. It has worked!

And if I want to upgrade the automation and api node using the in place method, is it in the same way as done with design node? or executeing the command dataiku-dss-NEWVERSION/installer.sh -d DATA_DIR -u evrything is upgraded?

0 Kudos