Writing dataset out to txt file

Solved!
ccecil
Level 3
Writing dataset out to txt file

I'd like to take my dataset and output it to a pipe delimited txt file. I poked around and I'm thinking a Python recipe would be the best method. Has anyone successfully done this?

Operating system used: Windows

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MiguelangelC
Dataiker

Hi,

One of the most commonly used dataset formats is CSV (comma-separated values). This is a text file, parseable by a text editor and with an extension '.csv'. You can control the separator in such files by goinginto the dataset's Settings > Preview  and changing the separator (if the Type if the dataset is Separated values). Then rebuild the dataset.

Now if you want to extract a file specifically into a file with a '.txt' extension, you can use the pandas 'to_csv' method. For example:

import dataiku
mydataset = dataiku.Dataset("customers")
mydataset_df = mydataset.get_dataframe()
mydataset_df.to_csv("/home/exampleuserhome/macpandas.txt", sep='|')

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MiguelangelC
Dataiker

Hi,

One of the most commonly used dataset formats is CSV (comma-separated values). This is a text file, parseable by a text editor and with an extension '.csv'. You can control the separator in such files by goinginto the dataset's Settings > Preview  and changing the separator (if the Type if the dataset is Separated values). Then rebuild the dataset.

Now if you want to extract a file specifically into a file with a '.txt' extension, you can use the pandas 'to_csv' method. For example:

import dataiku
mydataset = dataiku.Dataset("customers")
mydataset_df = mydataset.get_dataframe()
mydataset_df.to_csv("/home/exampleuserhome/macpandas.txt", sep='|')

0 Kudos
ccecil
Level 3
Author

Thanks, how do I set up the filepath similar to where you're pointing it in the last line of code?

"/home/exampleuserhome/macpandas.txt"

0 Kudos
ccecil
Level 3
Author

@MiguelangelC 

Hi there - just wanted to follow-up on this one. Can you provide a little more background on how I set up the file path in the last row of Python code where I will write the .txt file to?

0 Kudos