Special characters in excel

Ankur5289
Level 3
Special characters in excel

we have noticed that if a string is having whitespace and if we export this into a CSV or an excel, we are getting strange characters in the excel.

could you please check the attached document and help if we can solve this issue as we are seeing data discrepancy between the excel and the data set contents

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlexT
Dataiker

Hi,

The attachment mentioned is not attached to this discussion. If you would try re-attaching or provide a screenshot of DSS and CSV/XLS export. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JuanE
Dataiker

Hello,

It looks like your Excel file was not attached properly. In any case, this is likely caused due to a character encoding issue. You should ensure that Excel is using the same encoding to read the data as it was saved. You can read more about how to do this here:

https://superuser.com/questions/280603/how-to-set-character-encoding-when-opening-a-csv-file-in-exce...

You can check what the character encoding DSS is using to write the CSV file under the โ€œSettings > Previewโ€ tab, in the โ€œCharsetโ€ entry. By default, it is utf8.

Do let me know if you have any further questions about this. I have attached a couple of images for your reference.

Best,

Juan Eiros Zamora
Technical Support Engineer, Dataiku

Ankur5289
Level 3
Author

@Alex  and @JuanE  Thanks for the detailed responses. However i could not find this Charset under settings of a data set . I am using a MS SQL DATa set and under the settings preview i do not find this option as highlighted in the attachment.

0 Kudos
JuanE
Dataiker

Hello @Ankur5289

How does the data in MS SQL get written to the CSV file that you then read with Excel? That unloading process would determine what character set is used to write the CSV file to disk. You need to find out what encoding is used to write the CSV data, and then use that to read it with Excel.

0 Kudos