Geometry - Circle - Incorrect Shape

nkianhow
Level 1
Geometry - Circle - Incorrect Shape

Hi,

I'm attempting to draw a circular polygon of a 50meters radius using the geo point created from the latitude and longitude columns.

However, the output shape looks weird and edgy instead of a circle. May I know what are the possible issues here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClemenceB
Dataiker

Hi @nkianhow,

Thanks for sharing. The polygon we build with the "Create area around a geopoint" processor is made of 120 edges, to be as close as possible to a circle. However the geometry is simplified in our visualisation tool for memory purpose, and that's where the issue comes from: the geometry you observe on the map is an over simplified version of your real geometry. I'll add it to our backlog.

I hope it was helpful.

Clรฉmence

nkianhow
Level 1
Author

Hi @ClemenceB ,

Thank you for the explanation. Will keep that in mind when utilizing the visualization tool.

I tried viewing it in Tableau and the polygons appears to be the same. It seem that the output polygons are not a full circle. What's the limitation when using the "Create area around a geopoint" processor in terms of the radius? I'm attempting to create circles with the range of 40 - 60m.

Kian How

0 Kudos