Dataiku Installation on Oracle cloud Ubuntu instance

pallabtableau
Level 2
Dataiku Installation on Oracle cloud Ubuntu instance

Hi,

I have installed DSS on the Oracle Cloud Ubuntu 20.04 LTS instance. The installation was successful, but I cannot access the DSS start page by using the public IP address and the port number used for the installation. I have already started DSS by using the start command, the VM is also running, but I am unable to access the DSS home page. I have attached 3 screenshots showing the:

1. VM instance page from Oracle Cloud, the screenshot of my terminal
  2. Chrome page showing refused to connect
  3. Terminal page showing how I have started the DSS

Has anyone tried this before and faced a similar issue? I am a beginner in cloud instance and VM management, hence, not being able to debug the issue myself. Any help is much appreciated. Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VitaliyD
Dataiker

Hi @pallabtableau ,

The browser message 'Connection Refused' has two main causes:

1. Nothing is listening on the IP:Port you are trying to connect to. 
  2. A firewall blocks the port.

As DSS installed and started successfully and assuming you are not using a proxy, I will suspect that either the server firewall (if installed) or the cloud provider firewall blocks the port.

To test this, you can use curl or telnet commands:

curl -v ip:port
telnet ip port

or create the SSH tunnel on port 11000 and try to access the DSS using localhost:11000 URL:

ssh -L 11000:localhost:11000 user@host

If the curl or telnet tests are unsuccessful or if you used SSH tunnelling and can access DSS using localhost:11000 URL, that means the port is blocked, and you will need to open the port in the firewall before you are able to access DSS using ip:port URL

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Vitaliy

0 Kudos
pallabtableau
Level 2
Author

Hi @VitaliyD ,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried the curl command to the same public IP and 11000 port, and below is the output:

ubuntu@vnc-jm:~$ curl -v 152.70.65.90:11000

*   Trying 152.70.65.90:11000...

* TCP_NODELAY set

* connect to 152.70.65.90 port 11000 failed: Connection timed out

* Failed to connect to 152.70.65.90 port 11000: Connection timed out

* Closing connection 0

curl: (28) Failed to connect to 152.70.65.90 port 11000: Connection timed out

So it appears that it could be the firewall blocking the access. But I am not sure how to open the port in the firewall, can you please help with any suggestions?

I then tried the SSH command as well, but I am confused on the user@host phrase. Please let me know if my understanding is correct:

here, host refers to the same IP address (152.70.65.90)? how about the user, should it be the username of the VM? when I try the below command, it gives me the below error:

ubuntu@vnc-jm:~$ ssh -L 11000:localhost:11000 ubuntu@152.70.65.90

ubuntu@152.70.65.90: Permission denied (publickey).

ubuntu@vnc-jm:~$ 

I am attaching the screenshot from the OCI site as well for your quick and easy reference.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pallab

0 Kudos
VitaliyD
Dataiker

Hi @pallabtableau,

By searching the internet, I found an article in Oracle help centre on how to open a port to permit the traffic to your VM on a specific port that may be useful. If this won't help, you may need to contact Oracle Cloud support for guidance. Please find it below:

https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/cloud/compute/permitting_public_tcp_traff...

Regarding SSH tunnelling, from the screenshot you provided earlier, you used "ubuntu" user and successfully connected to the VM. However, I can see that additionally, you specified the SSH key in the command, so in your case, the full command should be:

ssh -i id_rsa -L 11000:localhost:11000 ubuntu@152.70.65.90

After logging in with the above command, you will need to start DSS as you did previously, and then you should be able to access it using the "localhost:11000" URL in your web browser.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Vitaliy

0 Kudos
pallabtableau
Level 2
Author

Hi @VitaliyD ,

Thanks a lot for your help. I could access by following the SSH tunnel method. Will try opening port as well later. You are the best! Thanks again.

Regards,

Pallab