Use variables define in Bokeh webapp as DSS global variables

Solved!
wdpat20
Level 1
Use variables define in Bokeh webapp as DSS global variables

It is my first use of Bokeh Webapp.

I would like to  define DSS global variables from Bokeh Webapp. 

example :

CODE_OP = TextInput(title="code operation", value='')

CODE_DIFF = TextInput(title="code(s) diffusion(s)", value='')

I want to use CODE_OP and CODE_DIFF as DSS variables in the recipies of my project flow and scenario. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
tim-wright
Level 5

@wdpat20 I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish (more generally beyond setting variables) so I can't be sure that this will help you in that ultimate goal. That being said, I fooled around with a bokeh webapp recently and have a working example of what I think you want - the entire trivial webapp code is pasted below. I have one text box changing a local variable, adn the other a global variable just to show how its done - modify as needed.

import dataiku

from bokeh.io import curdoc
from bokeh.layouts import row, widgetbox
from bokeh.models.widgets import TextInput

# Getting the project variables for this project using Public API
proj = dataiku.api_client().get_project(dataiku.default_project_key())
variables = proj.get_variables()

# Set up widgets

# Callbacks 
# Change CODE_OP Local variable for this project (creates if it didn't exist)
def update_code_op(attrname, old, new):
    variables['local']['CODE_OP'] = new
    proj.set_variables(variables) # Using Dataiku API to update project variables

CODE_OP.on_change('value', update_code_op)

# Change CODE_DIFF Global variable for this project (creates if it didn't exist)
def update_code_diff(attrname, old, new):
    variables['standard']['CODE_DIFF'] = new

CODE_DIFF.on_change('value', update_code_diff)

# Set up layouts and add to document
inputs = widgetbox(CODE_OP, CODE_DIFF)
curdoc().add_root(row(inputs, width=800))
curdoc().title = "Update Project Vars"

I would imagine you might want a "Run Analysis" button or something below that allows the project flow to be run with those parameters from the Bokeh application? (that will probably require a button with an .on_click callback that triggers other actions through the DSS API). If this is meant for a user, it may have substantial latency for user interaction (waiting for the flow to execute). Additionally if you are expecting concurrency (multiple simultaneous users) you may find that they are trying to overwrite each other's results.

@wdpat20, Let me know if this answered your need. Also, when you get your full use case working, I encourage you to share here so the rest of us can benefit from your trailblazing! Have a good weekend.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
tim-wright
Level 5

@wdpat20 I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish (more generally beyond setting variables) so I can't be sure that this will help you in that ultimate goal. That being said, I fooled around with a bokeh webapp recently and have a working example of what I think you want - the entire trivial webapp code is pasted below. I have one text box changing a local variable, adn the other a global variable just to show how its done - modify as needed.

import dataiku

from bokeh.io import curdoc
from bokeh.layouts import row, widgetbox
from bokeh.models.widgets import TextInput

# Getting the project variables for this project using Public API
proj = dataiku.api_client().get_project(dataiku.default_project_key())
variables = proj.get_variables()

# Set up widgets

# Callbacks 
# Change CODE_OP Local variable for this project (creates if it didn't exist)
def update_code_op(attrname, old, new):
    variables['local']['CODE_OP'] = new

CODE_OP.on_change('value', update_code_op)

# Change CODE_DIFF Global variable for this project (creates if it didn't exist)
def update_code_diff(attrname, old, new):
    variables['standard']['CODE_DIFF'] = new

CODE_DIFF.on_change('value', update_code_diff)

# Set up layouts and add to document
inputs = widgetbox(CODE_OP, CODE_DIFF)
curdoc().add_root(row(inputs, width=800))
curdoc().title = "Update Project Vars"

I would imagine you might want a "Run Analysis" button or something below that allows the project flow to be run with those parameters from the Bokeh application? (that will probably require a button with an .on_click callback that triggers other actions through the DSS API). If this is meant for a user, it may have substantial latency for user interaction (waiting for the flow to execute). Additionally if you are expecting concurrency (multiple simultaneous users) you may find that they are trying to overwrite each other's results.

@wdpat20, Let me know if this answered your need. Also, when you get your full use case working, I encourage you to share here so the rest of us can benefit from your trailblazing! Have a good weekend.

wdpat20
Level 1
Author

@tim-wright  thanks a lot, it works well

0 Kudos