New to Dataiku DSS? Try out our NEW Quick Start Programs today and get onboarded on the product in just one hour! Let's go

Syntax highlighting for code development

jmccartin
Level 3
Syntax highlighting for code development
Hi, I wonder if the development roadmap will ever allow for some basic syntax checking/highlighting in the code editor? I realise a full online IDE might be out of the question, but something like checks for PEP8 compliance would be really beneficial.

Could something like PEP8 be added as a validation step?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Clément_Stenac
Dataiker
Dataiker
Hi,

This is in our backlog, we'll record your interest.

Best,
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
Well, in the meantime, is it possible at all to install the 'dataiku' package so I can have access to the methods from a local IDE? It does not show up in pip, except for dataiku-api-client (which does not have the bindings I need).
0 Kudos
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker
Dataiker
Hi, You can use: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/python-api/outside-usage.html#installing-the-package to install the dataiku package from outside DSS.
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
FYI, this doesn't give you the full API, as several modules are missing from the zip (such as spark). I found a way to get them, but it's a little hacky, and involves uncompiling, and manually copying files back from the dataiku installation directory to my local machine.

I just wish you guys took this way of working more seriously. Doing proper code development in a browser just isn't practical for some things.
0 Kudos
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker
Dataiker
Hi, Which modules are missing for your usage specifically? I can relay your need to our R&D team.
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
Following your instructions linked above, you can see a clear difference in accessible modules between those available on the server, and if you try and install locally:

```
ls /opt/dataiku-dss-5.1.1/python/dataiku:
apinode container customstep doctor __init__.py notebook spark
base core customtrigger dsscli __init__.pyc __pycache__ sql
cluster customformat customui exporter insights runnables webapps
connector customrecipe customwebapp fsprovider metric scenario
```

compare that with:
```
ls dataiku-internal-client-5.1.0/dataiku/
__init__.py base core insights
```
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
And guys... please support reasonable markup so we can actually format code snippets and the like. Only supporting raw text for a Q&A field is a bit basic...!
0 Kudos
Labels (2)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku DSS