Syntax highlighting for code development

jmccartin
Level 3
Syntax highlighting for code development
Hi, I wonder if the development roadmap will ever allow for some basic syntax checking/highlighting in the code editor? I realise a full online IDE might be out of the question, but something like checks for PEP8 compliance would be really beneficial.

Could something like PEP8 be added as a validation step?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Clรฉment_Stenac
Hi,

This is in our backlog, we'll record your interest.

Best,
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
Well, in the meantime, is it possible at all to install the 'dataiku' package so I can have access to the methods from a local IDE? It does not show up in pip, except for dataiku-api-client (which does not have the bindings I need).
0 Kudos
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker Alumni
Hi, You can use: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/python-api/outside-usage.html#installing-the-package to install the dataiku package from outside DSS.
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
FYI, this doesn't give you the full API, as several modules are missing from the zip (such as spark). I found a way to get them, but it's a little hacky, and involves uncompiling, and manually copying files back from the dataiku installation directory to my local machine.

I just wish you guys took this way of working more seriously. Doing proper code development in a browser just isn't practical for some things.
0 Kudos
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker Alumni
Hi, Which modules are missing for your usage specifically? I can relay your need to our R&D team.
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
Following your instructions linked above, you can see a clear difference in accessible modules between those available on the server, and if you try and install locally:

```
ls /opt/dataiku-dss-5.1.1/python/dataiku:
apinode container customstep doctor __init__.py notebook spark
base core customtrigger dsscli __init__.pyc __pycache__ sql
cluster customformat customui exporter insights runnables webapps
connector customrecipe customwebapp fsprovider metric scenario
```

compare that with:
```
ls dataiku-internal-client-5.1.0/dataiku/
__init__.py base core insights
```
0 Kudos
jmccartin
Level 3
Author
And guys... please support reasonable markup so we can actually format code snippets and the like. Only supporting raw text for a Q&A field is a bit basic...!
0 Kudos