New to Dataiku DSS? Try out our NEW Quick Start Programs today and get onboarded on the product in just one hour! Let's go

Order not maintained in nesting columns

Solved!
dataiku_user
Level 2
Order not maintained in nesting columns

I have several columns that I am combining using data preparation recipe - and the 'nest' functionality. A number of these columns are in pairs and I am nesting them into a third column.

E.g: a1,b1 nested (in that order) to a1_b1, a2,b2 nested to a2_b2 and so on. Thus the map object created should be a1 and then b1.

However, an issue I face is for certain column pairs, the ordering is not maintained. i.e. when nested, the b column comes before a though the selection is first a and then b. The issue seems to affect in a random fashion.

Inputs;

a b
1 2

Outputs:

{"b": 2, "a": 1}

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker
Dataiker
Hello,

When using the "Nest columns" processor in a visual Prepare recipe, DSS converts the columns to a key:value format. By design, this format is not ordered by key. If you want to preserve order, I would advise using a "Concatenate" processor.

Note that for advanced processing needs, the visual Prepare recipe supports a formula language close to Excel, and base Python.

Cheers,

Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker
Dataiker
Hello,

When using the "Nest columns" processor in a visual Prepare recipe, DSS converts the columns to a key:value format. By design, this format is not ordered by key. If you want to preserve order, I would advise using a "Concatenate" processor.

Note that for advanced processing needs, the visual Prepare recipe supports a formula language close to Excel, and base Python.

Cheers,

Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
dataiku_user
Level 2
Author
Ok, thanks for a prompt answer. I figured out that backslash works for escape in the formula recipe
0 Kudos
Labels (3)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku DSS