Import an existing Dash (Flask) webapp

alienmind
Level 1
Import an existing Dash (Flask) webapp

Hi!

I was wondering if it's possible to upload an existing python webapp (made with dash - https://plotly.com/dash/)

Dash is actually a webapp with a Flask backend, so it kind of fits on the "standard webapps" description in the docs https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/webapps/index.html#standard-web-apps

However I'm unable to find any button allowing me to upload pre-existing code folders, seems that I can only start a new app from scratch.

Thanks,

8 Replies
ATsao
Dataiker

Hi,

This is indeed currently not possible but I will go ahead and forward this feedback to our product team for further review. Also, as a side note, support for Dash is an existing request that's already in our backlog but something that's still being worked on internally. 

Best,

Andrew

importpandas
Level 1

seconded for dash support, and a route for streamlit in the near future. from a python apps perspective, bokeh is OK ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos
dhiman63
Level 1

I would love to see some Dash support as well in Dataiku! Lot of applications already built in Dash which right now bringing in the Dataiku dashboards using embedded external websites. But would really love bring this last piece into the fold as well.

0 Kudos
Taylor
Level 3

Although I prefer R Shiny, I do get this question about Dash support in DSS very often. Personally, I think bokeh is a horrible experience and the documentation is less than helpful. A Flask / Javascript web app is our current go-to, which often feels like overkill.

I think doubling down on enabling fast development of analytical web applications would be an interesting strategy for Dataiku to take. There are so many use-cases that require something that is just barely out of reach of what a Power BI or a Tableau can do. File upload to generate plots, interactive / on-demand data processing, simulations - these can be done and stored in a database for a BI tool to use, but would be much more powerful in a Dash-like environment.

I suspect there's a big market of people willing to do Dash development but don't want to do things like LDAP / identity management, data source connections, etc.

emher
Level 3

Is there any progress towards support for Plotly Dash? It seems to be gaining momentum in the data scientist community. Also, I really like the option of being able to wrap React components for use in Dash; it makes it possible to achieve very custom dashboards/web apps by leveraging the React eco system.

emher
Level 3

For other people looking for a Plotly Dash integration, i have written a few glue scripts to simplify the process. I have posted the required steps on the Dash forum as the code formatting on this forum is rather flaky,

https://community.plotly.com/t/dash-webapps-in-dataiku/48921

It hope it will inspire others to make some great Dash apps powered by dataiku ๐Ÿ™‚

KimmyC
Dataiker

Hi @emher ,

Happy to report that starting in DSS 9, we now includes the ability to write, deploy and manage Dash webapps.

Cheers,

Kim

NancyK
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @emher, we also have a Dash webapp tutorial on the Dataiku Knowledge Base - feel free to check it out ๐Ÿ™‚