New to Dataiku DSS? Try out our NEW Quick Start Programs today and get onboarded on the product in just one hour! Let's go

How to write from pandas Dataframe to PostgreSQL with a geometry type

atimetobesmall
Level 1
How to write from pandas Dataframe to PostgreSQL with a geometry type

Hello,

In my python receipt, I would like to write in my PostreSQL database (with PostGis extension) data with a geometry type. Therefore, I declared a schema and created my table with this specific schema 

schema = [{"name": 'id', "type": 'int'}, {"name": 'value', "type": 'string'}, {"name": 'the_geom', "type": 'geometry'}]

test_schema = dataiku.Dataset("test_schema")
test_schema.write_schema(schema, dropAndCreate=True)

with test_schema.get_writer() as writer:
writer.write_dataframe(df_test)

However there's no way "Dataiku" recognizes any geometry type I tried. Is it possible to have the list of types that Dataiku can handle?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Clément_Stenac
Dataiker
Dataiker
Hi,

At the moment, it's unfortunately not possible to directly write Postgis types directly from Python. What we would recommend is to write the WKT as a string column, and then use a SQL Script recipe to copy it into a geometry column.

Adding real support for Postgis is on our roadmap, but we do not yet have an ETA for this.
0 Kudos
atimetobesmall
Level 1
Author
Ok, thank you for your anwser
0 Kudos
Mingo
Level 2

Hello Clément,

Have you any news on that topic? I have the same issue with visual recipes. Do we still have to add a SQL scripts to our Workflow?

Thanks in advance

Romain

0 Kudos
CoreyS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mingo I can confirm that there is currently no update to this as Clement's reply above is still accurate. I hope this helps!

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as ‘Accepted Solution’ to help others like you!
0 Kudos
Mingo
Level 2

Thanks Corey, 

I don't need to look for another solution anymore. So it helps.

Labels (4)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku DSS