DSS R base package update

dcarva23jnj
Level 2
DSS R base package update

Hi all,

Is it possible to know if the R core base packages list was updated recently or if the package's versions were updated? 

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VitaliyD
Dataiker

Hi @dcarva23jnj,

Generally speaking, DSS won't update any packages on its own unless you run the update manually and dependencies require a higher version of already installed packages.

To update packages for Code envs, you need to trigger the update manually. Then you can inspect the logs in the Logs tab of the Code env and compare them with the logs from previous updates.

To update packages for the default built-in R environment, you will need to rebuild the environment. For that, you will need to delete <DATA_DIR>/R.lib first and then run the R-integration again (You can follow the steps from our documentation: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/installation/custom/r.html#rebuilding-the-default-r-environment). The logs for this can be found in <DATA_DIR>/run/install.log file, where you can inspect and compare versions with the previous run of R-integration.

Please note: It is strongly recommended to use Code envs to manage your R packages. If anything goes wrong during the update, one code env won't affect any other code envs. For more info on Code envs please check our documentation: https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/code-envs/index.html.

Let me know this is what you were looking for. If not, could you please elaborate more on your use case to better understand your question?

dcarva23jnj
Level 2
Author

Hi VitaliyD

Thanks for the feedback, maybe I didn't explain myself properly.

I mean the base R packages that come installed when we create a new code environment. 

My question is if, in any recent time, that list of packages was updated or even the versions of the packages in that list.

0 Kudos
VitaliyD
Dataiker

Hi dcarva23jnj,

Thanks for clarifying your question.

You can find the list of the core packages of a code env created in the base packages section of the respective code env. I have compared version 8 and 9 lists of R base packages and can confirm no changes. Please see the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 16.17.31.png

Keep in mind that the R installs the latest dependencies versions, so you may see higher versions of the dependencies installed for later created or updated code envs when you inspect the code envs logs.

Hope this helps.

Additionally, could you please elaborate on the origin of your question? Are you just interested, or there are any issues with base packages you experienced that led to it?

Best Regards,
Vitaliy

0 Kudos
dcarva23jnj
Level 2
Author

Thank you for the clarification @VitaliyD 

I'm having issues with one dependency package that now comes in a higher version and I'm not able to downgrade it to the version I was using before.

0 Kudos
VitaliyD
Dataiker

Hi @dcarva23jnj,

Could you please share the package details and issue description along with code env diagnostic so we can look at it in more details here?

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 21.06.38.png

Alternatively, feel free to open a support ticket with us directly sharing the same.

Regards,

Vitaliy

0 Kudos