Survey banner
The Dataiku Community is moving to a new home! We are temporary in read only mode: LEARN MORE

CHALLENGE #1: Bitcoin Price History

InesB
Dataiker
CHALLENGE #1: Bitcoin Price History

Bitcoin has been fluctuating wildly in value for over a decade. As a pioneering cryptocurrency, Bitcoin has experienced the extreme price volatility for which it is famous. 

In this dataset you'll find the opening, closing, high and low prices of bitcoin in USD for every day over 10 years: 

https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/saswattulo/bitcoin-price-history-btc-usd

Your challenge this week will be to learn more about Bitcoin while manipulating the date-related features on Dataiku. Your goal is to find out:

1. The top 3 months highest closing price
  2. The top 3 months highest sales volume
  3. The biggest price drop in Bitcoin price month over month

You can accomplish this by following these steps: 

1. Create a new column with only the month and the year for each row [Parse date]
  2. Calculate the average price of bitcoin based on the closing price and the volume of bitcoin sold per month [Group Recipe]
  3. Calculate the Lag Difference on the closing price per month [Window recipe]
  4. Pick the top 3 months for bitcoin : first considering only the selling prices and then considering the sales volume [Top Recipe]
  5. Identify the highest price difference, sorting the lag difference in descending order and identifying the highest negative value [Top Recipe]

Once you find the solutions please feel free to export your project and upload it here so we can all benefit from each other's efforts ! 

3 Replies
Grixis
Level 4
Hello,

for my part I find;

1. The top 3 months highest closing price avg : 2024-03, 2024-04, 2024-05
  2. The top 3 months highest sales volume avg : 2021-02, 2021-01, 2021-05
  3. The biggest price drop in Bitcoin price avg month over month : 2021-12
May I screwed up somewhere. 😉
You can check it, project's default dashboard in attachement.
InesB
Dataiker
Author

Hey Grixis,
Congratulations on completing this week's challenge and thank you for sharing your results ! 🎉

Grixis
Level 4

Thanks 🙌

0 Kudos

Labels

?
Labels (1)
A banner prompting to get Dataiku