Setting up Notifications with Google as the SMTP connection

tgb417
Setting up Notifications with Google as the SMTP connection

So, I'm working with a larger team now.  We would like to start to use the Collaboration features in DSS.  However, I'm having problems getting email notifications to work.  I'm on DSS 8.0.5.  As an Administrator, I've done what I think the appropriate setup would be.

Setup SMTP Notifications.jpg

This test happens to be on my local laptop, running Mac OS.  There is a firewall on the laptop and between my home network and the internet.  That said email clients on this laptop are able to connect to google's gmail infrastructure without problems.

So, to me this configuration looks OK. However, no emails are coming through?  If I @ myself in a comment nothing goes through.  I'm seeing no default notifications. 

I guess I have three questions.

1. To anyone who is using the google email infrastructure to do communications.  Does this configuration look correct to you?
  2. To anyone using the collaboration features of DSS.  What sort of communications should I expect from a DSS instance to the outside world related to situations in DSS.
    1. Can a person @ mention someone else and expect that an email will be sent to notify that person?
    2. How do I setup reports or other notifications to a particular user or group of users?
  3. How are you using the collaboration features of DSS with your team?

Thanks for any insights you are able to share.  Looking forward to everyone's comments.

--Tom
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ignacio_Toledo

Hi @tgb417,

I think you have a problem with your settings. According to the information at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en you should activate the SSL option too, and TLS is optional, only if available. The port seems OK.

Maybe this could fix your issue.

About the other questions, I just can confirm that when somebody mentions me with the @ symbol I'm getting an email (but only if in your own preferences you allow this kind of email).

Cheers!

tgb417
Author

@Ignacio_Toledo 

When I click SSL TLS disappears from the setting entry screen:

New SMTP Settings.jpg

I've turned on all of the notifications from my local instance, I'm getting no emails?

Not clear why?

--Tom
0 Kudos

Hi @tgb417,

The TLS disappearance is OK, no worries about that.

Have you check this section of your profile and settings as user:

mailsettings.png

In this example I've all communications via email deactivated. Maybe this is another reason?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
tgb417
Author

As far as I can tell all of my communications are turned on.

It getting late.  I look at this further tomorrow.  

--Tom
0 Kudos