Handling Teradata socket issues and login timeouts

Solved!
importthepandas
Handling Teradata socket issues and login timeouts

Hi Team

This isn't a Dataiku limitation or product issue question, more or less a question on "am i assuming correctly?"

We are experiencing some connectivity issues on our teradata servers which we're being told to triage by increasing login timeouts. Easy enough to do with ODBC driver parameters, in python using teradata's package, etc. but for JDBC there is no default parameter to adjust. I'm assuming in Dataiku this is a java based connection and is using DriverManager? Would it be accurate to also assume if I set DriverManager.setLoginTimeout in advanced properties for the connection I could adjust timeout settings?

Operating system used: Ubuntu 18.04

Operating system used: Ubuntu 18.04

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi @importthepandas 

As you have already mentioned, you can use python (pyodbc if I am not mistaken) and connect to Teradata via ODBC. DSS natively supports everything that you can do in python outside of DSS. 

What about the JDBC driver, from the next online resources, looks like there is no such thing as login timeout in the Teradata JDBC driver and there is no parameter to change it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sergeyd
Dataiker

Hi @importthepandas 

As you have already mentioned, you can use python (pyodbc if I am not mistaken) and connect to Teradata via ODBC. DSS natively supports everything that you can do in python outside of DSS. 

What about the JDBC driver, from the next online resources, looks like there is no such thing as login timeout in the Teradata JDBC driver and there is no parameter to change it.

0 Kudos
importthepandas
Author

you are right @sergeyd - support for their JDBC driver seems to be behind ODBC. we've tried to set driver manager timeout in special properties... not sure if it's having any effect, but we're monitoring. Either way we'll be using another data warehouse technology soon where this is not a limitation. thank you!

0 Kudos