ability to use unique dates in bar chart

0 Kudos

if you use a datetime as x-axis on a bar chart, it is treated as a date and so automatically chooses bins, you can also choose to bin by year/month etc but you can use the actual unique values - i.e. a 'treat as alphanumeric' option.  

3 Comments
AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @Peter_R_Knight ,

Thanks for the idea! Can you give us some information on your use case and what type of visualization you're trying to build?

Cheers,

Ashley

Status changed to: Gathering Input

Hi @Peter_R_Knight ,

Thanks for the idea! Can you give us some information on your use case and what type of visualization you're trying to build?

Cheers,

Ashley

Peter_R_Knight
Level 2

I'm sorry I can't remember the exact use case. but I was trying to create a bar chart with dates on x axis, but didn't want them linear spaced.  e.g. if my data had 1956, 1957, 2011,2012 you might want 4 bars rather than 1 per year. so was suggesting adding the 'treat as alphanumeric' (with a user entered format string like 'yyyy') as is the case for numeric fields.

I'm sorry I can't remember the exact use case. but I was trying to create a bar chart with dates on x axis, but didn't want them linear spaced.  e.g. if my data had 1956, 1957, 2011,2012 you might want 4 bars rather than 1 per year. so was suggesting adding the 'treat as alphanumeric' (with a user entered format string like 'yyyy') as is the case for numeric fields.

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I helped! Do you Know that if I was Useful to you or Did something Outstanding you can Show your appreciation by giving me a KUDOS?

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as ‘Accepted Solution’ to help others like you!
Status changed to: Gathering Input