Trim trailing/leading white spaces in login name

To give a bit of context, I'm managing a Dataiku platform with a large number of end users. I just came off the phone with a user who had trouble logging into Dataiku. It turned out that whenever he used the browser feature to automatically fill in your credentials (think LastPass), it would fill in his username with extra spaces. This obviously didn't match his login name without trailing whitespaces. 

Whenever I try to create a user with extra spaces at the end of the login name, these get trimmed off automatically. A user called "Test   " will have the login name "Test" after user creation. However, these extra spaces do not get trimmed off at the login screen. 

My product idea, which is almost more like a bugfix: Automatically trim off trailing (and leading /  before the username) whitespaces from the username at the login screen.

3 Comments

To add to this, we just experienced a similar problem related to the case (lower/upper) of the user ID. If my ID is "myuserid" and I login using "MYUSERID", it works - I can log in. However I do see different results once I am in. For example, I can no longer access plugin development functionality and my customized user icon is lost. I didn't check the impacts thoroughly but did notice those differences. If some parts of DSS are sensitive to the case of the user ID then the initial login probably should be as well. In other words, if my ID is "myuserid" and I login using "MYUSERID", it shouldn't work. 

To add to this, we just experienced a similar problem related to the case (lower/upper) of the user ID. If my ID is "myuserid" and I login using "MYUSERID", it works - I can log in. However I do see different results once I am in. For example, I can no longer access plugin development functionality and my customized user icon is lost. I didn't check the impacts thoroughly but did notice those differences. If some parts of DSS are sensitive to the case of the user ID then the initial login probably should be as well. In other words, if my ID is "myuserid" and I login using "MYUSERID", it shouldn't work. 

AshleyW
Dataiker

Thanks for your idea, @DMKnemeijer. Your idea meets the criteria for submission, we'll reach out should we require more information.

If youโ€™re reading this post and think this would be a great capability to add to DSS, be sure to kudos the original post! Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Take care,
Ashley

Status changed to: In the Backlog

Thanks for your idea, @DMKnemeijer. Your idea meets the criteria for submission, we'll reach out should we require more information.

If youโ€™re reading this post and think this would be a great capability to add to DSS, be sure to kudos the original post! Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Take care,
Ashley

An additional note here on the lower / upper case aspect. Our user IDs were created all in lower case. We just realized that logging in with all upper case user ID works (as I noted previously) but it also actually creates a new user ID record in the user credentials data. Projects and other DSS entities can then be associated with that new ID. When the user logs in later using a lower case ID they don't see any projects that may have created under the upper case user ID (and vice versa). This of course is a very confusing situation. If the case of the user ID doesn't matter when logging in then it shouldn't matter anywhere else. It shouldn't "partially" matter. And it shouldn't result in the creation of new user credentials. 

I hope you will address the lower / upper case situation at the same time you address trailing spaces. 

Thanks,

Marlan

cc @AshleyW  

An additional note here on the lower / upper case aspect. Our user IDs were created all in lower case. We just realized that logging in with all upper case user ID works (as I noted previously) but it also actually creates a new user ID record in the user credentials data. Projects and other DSS entities can then be associated with that new ID. When the user logs in later using a lower case ID they don't see any projects that may have created under the upper case user ID (and vice versa). This of course is a very confusing situation. If the case of the user ID doesn't matter when logging in then it shouldn't matter anywhere else. It shouldn't "partially" matter. And it shouldn't result in the creation of new user credentials. 

I hope you will address the lower / upper case situation at the same time you address trailing spaces. 

Thanks,

Marlan

cc @AshleyW