1. Populate credentials
  2. Immediately see whether connection was successful

6 Comments

agreed - this is pretty simple and foundational

agreed - this is pretty simple and foundational

fsergot
Dataiker

Hello,

In connections, you should have a 'Test' button at the bottom that does exactly that unless there is a use case or specific connection I am missing ๐Ÿ˜Š

Status changed to: New

Hello,

In connections, you should have a 'Test' button at the bottom that does exactly that unless there is a use case or specific connection I am missing ๐Ÿ˜Š

CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
Status changed to: Gathering Input

Thanks @fsergot,

I think that might work for users with admin access, or for the connections that normal users are allowed to configure, but in my organization, most connections are managed by our admin team, so they're not visible to normal users in the connection manager. But even if they were, connections with per-user credentials still require a user to start in the connection manager, click over to the credential manager, select the connection there, populate credentials, return back to the connection manager, and then test the connection. If this could be simplified by adding that test button to the credential input modal as well (including allowing users to test their current credentials before entering new ones), the process would flow much more smoothly.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 064401.jpg

It would be great if a test option were added here.

A couple other minor notes about this screen:

The title of the modal window (at least as of Dataiku v8) doesn't populate with the connection name, just "Credential for 0."

Clicking the cancel button after deleting a username saves the changes rather than discarding them. I'm not sure if this is also true for passwords, but at least as far as usernames go, cancel and OK currently have the same effect.

I think it would also be really cool if all connections with populated credentials could be tested simultaneously from the credential manager, and if the most recent status from any dataset that's built with a given set of credentials could be displayed on this screen too with a timestamp, making it easy to see when an account, perhaps one that's been being used for automations, recently started to fail due to expired credentials.

Thanks @fsergot,

I think that might work for users with admin access, or for the connections that normal users are allowed to configure, but in my organization, most connections are managed by our admin team, so they're not visible to normal users in the connection manager. But even if they were, connections with per-user credentials still require a user to start in the connection manager, click over to the credential manager, select the connection there, populate credentials, return back to the connection manager, and then test the connection. If this could be simplified by adding that test button to the credential input modal as well (including allowing users to test their current credentials before entering new ones), the process would flow much more smoothly.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 064401.jpg

It would be great if a test option were added here.

A couple other minor notes about this screen:

The title of the modal window (at least as of Dataiku v8) doesn't populate with the connection name, just "Credential for 0."

Clicking the cancel button after deleting a username saves the changes rather than discarding them. I'm not sure if this is also true for passwords, but at least as far as usernames go, cancel and OK currently have the same effect.

I think it would also be really cool if all connections with populated credentials could be tested simultaneously from the credential manager, and if the most recent status from any dataset that's built with a given set of credentials could be displayed on this screen too with a timestamp, making it easy to see when an account, perhaps one that's been being used for automations, recently started to fail due to expired credentials.

fsergot
Dataiker

Hello,

This is in our backlog. We'll look into it along with other requests related to per-user credentials.

Status changed to: In Backlog

Hello,

This is in our backlog. We'll look into it along with other requests related to per-user credentials.

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I helped! Do you Know that if I was Useful to you or Did something Outstanding you can Show your appreciation by giving me a KUDOS?

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
Status changed to: In the Backlog