Reorder columns in output tab

Description

Currently, on the output tab of a recipe, you can see all the columns that will be output, and there are even "grab bars" (highlighted in yellow) that look like you should be able to reorder them, but the tool won't allow you to do so.

Impact

Visual clutter

Requires creating a prep step just to reorder columns in many cases.

Wasted storage

The extra prep step means another dataset that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Wasted processing

As with the wasted storage, this requires reprocessing the data, which typically doubles the processing time.

Suggested / Possible Fix

Allow users to use the "grab bars" to reorder columns in the output step. This would then alter the order the columns are selected in the SQL.

3 Comments

This would be a huge improvement! It'd be great if there were also checkboxes in addition to the grab bars, as columns are often needed as part of the internal query, but should be excluded in the output.

This would be a huge improvement! It'd be great if there were also checkboxes in addition to the grab bars, as columns are often needed as part of the internal query, but should be excluded in the output.

ktgross15
Dataiker

Thanks for sharing, I definitely hear you on this request - this is in our backlog already and we've noted your interest. Will let you know of any updates here!

If youโ€™re reading this and would love to see this improvement too, be sure to kudos the original post or leave a comment!

Status changed to: In Backlog

Thanks for sharing, I definitely hear you on this request - this is in our backlog already and we've noted your interest. Will let you know of any updates here!

If youโ€™re reading this and would love to see this improvement too, be sure to kudos the original post or leave a comment!

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I helped! Do you Know that if I was Useful to you or Did something Outstanding you can Show your appreciation by giving me a KUDOS?

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
Status changed to: In the Backlog