Irrelevant warnings during import or Automation node deployment

We have lots of plugins on our Designer instance since we are testing them to see if we can use them in our projects. However this means that whenever we deploy a project to the Automation node we get warnings on deployment as the plugin list in the Automation node does not match with the Designer node. This is a bad user experience. Ideally Dataiku should be able to figure out which plugins are used in each project and don't throw Warnings for plugins that are missing in the Automation node but actually are not used in the project being deployed. Dataiku is already able to determine which connections and code environments are used in a project and validate these exist in the destination Automation node being deployed to so the same should be done for Plugins. 

(Topic title edited by moderator to be more descriptive. Original title "Warnings during import or Automation node")

15 Comments
ClaudiusH
Dataiker Alumni

Thanks for pointing out the scope. I updated the idea title to reflect the review of warnings on both import or automation node deployment for relevancy

Thanks for pointing out the scope. I updated the idea title to reflect the review of warnings on both import or automation node deployment for relevancy

FYI a post related to this thread (but dealing with the topic of errors): 

FYI a post related to this thread (but dealing with the topic of errors): 

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I helped! Do you Know that if I was Useful to you or Did something Outstanding you can Show your appreciation by giving me a KUDOS?

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
Status changed to: In the Backlog

Looks this was implemented and they have not told us!

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/release_notes/11.html#id21

Seems to be available since v11.3.0. Find it under Admin > Settings > Other > Deployer > Warn on plugin discrepancy

Note the warning on this option: Only the plugin difference between the plugins used in the project and those installed will trigger a warning when importing a project or deploying it from another node rather than the difference between all plugins in the instances (Experimental - Some rare uses of plugins may not be pointed) - (has a best-effort (Tier 2) support)

Personally I rather enable it and get some projects fail for some obscure plugin use than having false warnings all the time. So happy days!

Looks this was implemented and they have not told us!

https://doc.dataiku.com/dss/latest/release_notes/11.html#id21

Seems to be available since v11.3.0. Find it under Admin > Settings > Other > Deployer > Warn on plugin discrepancy

Note the warning on this option: Only the plugin difference between the plugins used in the project and those installed will trigger a warning when importing a project or deploying it from another node rather than the difference between all plugins in the instances (Experimental - Some rare uses of plugins may not be pointed) - (has a best-effort (Tier 2) support)

Personally I rather enable it and get some projects fail for some obscure plugin use than having false warnings all the time. So happy days!

fsergot
Dataiker

Hello all,

My bad, I completely forgot to update this idea. 

We now check the exact usage of the plugin in the project. This allows more targeted warnings and will avoid polluting users with test/unused plugins.

As pointed out, the option needs to be activated on Automation node (and not on the Deployer node) in Administration > Deployer section - as it also applies to bundles manually imported on Automation nodes (although we tend to discourage this practice as much as possible).

Hello all,

My bad, I completely forgot to update this idea. 

We now check the exact usage of the plugin in the project. This allows more targeted warnings and will avoid polluting users with test/unused plugins.

As pointed out, the option needs to be activated on Automation node (and not on the Deployer node) in Administration > Deployer section - as it also applies to bundles manually imported on Automation nodes (although we tend to discourage this practice as much as possible).