Flow zones and support for them in scenarios

Hello,

I am exploring flow zones possibilities and I am missing one feature. Is there planned to support flow zones in scenarios? 

Instead of building single datasets I would like put there to build whole zone. What would be also nice is trigger another scenario when some flow zone has been refreshed.

My use case:

Having complex flow which consists of two main parts and producing several output datasets. Now I have two main scenarios which runs one after each other. I would like to achieve better parallelism to run the flows in parallel but there are parts which are common for both so those can't run in parallel.

Now going through the flow and tagging datasets as flowA or flowB or common and later will need to create a new scenarios to parallelise the processing. So I was thinking how to use flow zones for it but I ended up in scenarios where I still would need to define the build on dataset level not zone level.

7 Comments
CoreyS
Dataiker Alumni

Hi @tomas_sobotik thanks for reaching out as always. We felt this would be better suited on the Product Ideas board so we moved your post and officially made it an idea. Thanks again!

Looking for more resources to help you use Dataiku effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!

Hi @tomas_sobotik thanks for reaching out as always. We felt this would be better suited on the Product Ideas board so we moved your post and officially made it an idea. Thanks again!

AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi @tomas_sobotik , thank you for your idea!

What you've mentioned looks like two different ideas:

1. Be able to build everything in a given Flow Zone
  2. Be able to trigger scenario steps based on the completion of (1)

Does that sound about right? If so, would you mind splitting them into two different ideas?

Take care, 

Ashely

Status changed to: Gathering Input

Hi @tomas_sobotik , thank you for your idea!

What you've mentioned looks like two different ideas:

1. Be able to build everything in a given Flow Zone
  2. Be able to trigger scenario steps based on the completion of (1)

Does that sound about right? If so, would you mind splitting them into two different ideas?

Take care, 

Ashely

tomas_sobotik
Level 2

Hi @AshleyW,

yes, you got it right, two ideas. So do you want me to create a second post and place the idea #2 there?

Cheers,

Tomas

Hi @AshleyW,

yes, you got it right, two ideas. So do you want me to create a second post and place the idea #2 there?

Cheers,

Tomas

AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi,

That would be great, thank you! You can mention that the second relates to the first since they're related capabilities.

Best,

Ashley

Hi,

That would be great, thank you! You can mention that the second relates to the first since they're related capabilities.

Best,

Ashley

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I helped! Do you Know that if I was Useful to you or Did something Outstanding you can Show your appreciation by giving me a KUDOS?

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
Status changed to: Gathering Input

ktgross15
Dataiker

Hello @tomas_sobotik @bhazelwood and all future readers of this post!

I'm pleased to share that building flow zones has been released as part of DSS V12; see detail in our release notes and knowledge base article.

Note that building flow zones as part of scenarios is not part of V12, but is also something we plan to implement in the short term (more updates to come on that later).

Let us know if you have any questions in the interim!

Katie

Status changed to: Released

Hello @tomas_sobotik @bhazelwood and all future readers of this post!

I'm pleased to share that building flow zones has been released as part of DSS V12; see detail in our release notes and knowledge base article.

Note that building flow zones as part of scenarios is not part of V12, but is also something we plan to implement in the short term (more updates to come on that later).

Let us know if you have any questions in the interim!

Katie

"Note that building flow zones as part of scenarios is not part of V12, but is also something we plan to implement in the short term (more updates to come on that later)."

Oh yes please we would love this too! As a work around can this be done via the API? ie Can I use Python code in a Scenario to rebuild a Flow Zone?

"Note that building flow zones as part of scenarios is not part of V12, but is also something we plan to implement in the short term (more updates to come on that later)."

Oh yes please we would love this too! As a work around can this be done via the API? ie Can I use Python code in a Scenario to rebuild a Flow Zone?