Apply a dynamic date filter on a chart

Hi,

Weโ€™ve heard feedback that many would like to have additional capabilities to filter data in a chart or on a dashboard. Tell us what you think of this idea: filter data that's in a chart or on a dashboard using a dynamic date range like 'last 6 months' or 'year to date'.

For example, letโ€™s assume that you have a dashboard showing data that gets updated every day with new data. As a user, you want to look back at this data over various time intervals: show me the last 7 days, show me the last 30 days, show me the last 2 yearsโ€ฆ Doing this in the Flow is easy enoughโ€” maybe you add a time-based filter to a Prepare, update it depending on the date range you want, and then rebuild the Flow. However, your stakeholders who use this dashboard canโ€™t do that and so youโ€™ve built multiple copies of your dashboard, one for each lookback period they want to see.

With the ability to apply relative date range filters to a chart or dashboard, youโ€™d add your date field to the filter pane and define your lookback/lookforward range that will be applied as a filter, let's say 'last 30 days'. The range updates itself automatically over time so that youโ€™re always seeing the last 30 days of data in your charts, no additional rework needed. If your stakeholders want to change the settings and see the last 60 days they can do that without asking you to make a manual change in the Flow.

If youโ€™re reading this post and think this would be a great capability to add to DSS charts, be sure to upvote it! ( โฌ†๏ธ = โ€œyes, please!โ€ ). Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Cheers,
Ashley

4 Comments
AshleyW
Dataiker

Status changed to: Parked

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I helped! Do you Know that if I was Useful to you or Did something Outstanding you can Show your appreciation by giving me a KUDOS?

Looking for more resources to help you use DSS effectively and upskill your knowledge? Check out these great resources: Dataiku Academy | Documentation | Knowledge Base

A reply answered your question? Mark as โ€˜Accepted Solutionโ€™ to help others like you!
Status changed to: In the Backlog

Jason
Level 4

I'd love to have this.  I really need it on several of the dashboards I'm creating.  The data goes back too far to make the graph readable, but I don't want to constantly be updating it.

I'd love to have this.  I really need it on several of the dashboards I'm creating.  The data goes back too far to make the graph readable, but I don't want to constantly be updating it.

AshleyW
Dataiker

We did it!

This idea has become reality and was delivered in 12.1 (June 2023): you can now add a relative date range filter into a chart or onto a dashboard ('last week', 'last year'...)

Take care,
Ashley

Status changed to: Released

We did it!

This idea has become reality and was delivered in 12.1 (June 2023): you can now add a relative date range filter into a chart or onto a dashboard ('last week', 'last year'...)

Take care,
Ashley