Add Multiple Column Sort from Column Header Pull Down Menu

User Story:

As a new user of Dataiku DSS, familiar with MS Excel, I'd like to more easily find the ability to sort a dataset by multiple columns at the same time.  This would increase my ability to successfully conduct data analysis and data cleanup.

Notes:

• Only after 4 years of use have I discovered that this can be done from the display menu, by choosing "select sort columnS". and bringing up a dialog box to select multiple columns to sort by.
    Current Multiple Sort.jpg

This feature did not jump out at me.  It is really just the "s" in columns that helped me realize that I could sort by multiple columns at the same time.  Sorting by multiple columns in DSS is something that I've wanted to do for a long time and had not figured out how to do.

Suggested UI:

• When someone has already got a sort setup on a dataset column.  In all other columns there is an additional feature in the column drop-down menu that says something like "Add Sort" or "Additional Sort".  This adds this column as the next sort column like one could do in the display menu.  It would be nice if that menu did not show up, that the new sort column was added at the top or the bottom of the column sort list.
    Showing a place where add sort could be added when one already has a sort column set.Showing a place where add sort could be added when one already has a sort column set.
  • If you go back to the column header with a sort already set.  You would still get the remove sort option.

--Tom
2 Comments
AshleyW
Dataiker

Thanks for your idea, @tgb417 ! Your idea meets the criteria for submission, we'll reach out should we require more information.

If you’re reading this post and think this would be a great capability to add to DSS, be sure to kudos the original post! Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Take care,
Ashley

Status changed to: In the Backlog

Thanks for your idea, @tgb417 ! Your idea meets the criteria for submission, we'll reach out should we require more information.

If you’re reading this post and think this would be a great capability to add to DSS, be sure to kudos the original post! Feel free to leave a comment in the discussion about how this capability would help you or your team.

Take care,
Ashley

Thanks @AshleyW ,  I hope this is a fairly straightforward request.

--Tom

Thanks @AshleyW ,  I hope this is a fairly straightforward request.