Uploading multiple sheets/files at once

Romana
Level 3
Uploading multiple sheets/files at once
Hi,

I am trying to upload multiple excel files with multiple sheets at the same time into one dataset. Is it possible to add a special column indicating the original dataset (excel file + sheet)?

Many thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker Alumni

Hi,

If columns are different across sheets, you will need to upload the dataset multiple times for each set of sheets with the same columns. Another option would be to put the file in a managed folder and use several files-in-folder datasets. Then you can use a stack recipes to remap the columns as necessary. 

Alternatively, you could read the file with python from a DSS managed folder as such:

import dataiku
import pandas as pd, numpy as np
import os

folder_path = dataiku.Folder("MYFOLDER").get_path()
excel_path = os.path.join(folder_path, "MYFILE.xlsx")
sheet_list = ["SHEET1", "SHEET2"]

df_dict = {
k: pd.read_excel(excel_path, sheet_name = k, engine = "xlrd")
for k in sheet_list
}

for k, df in df_dict.items():
df["origin_sheet_name"] = k

df_stacked = pd.concat([v for k,v in df_dict.items()], axis = 0, ignore_index = True, sort = False)

Hope it helps,

Alex

Romana
Level 3
Author
Hi Alex,
many thanks for your answer, however the code does not seem to work.
Even though I specified the list of sheets for option "sheet_name=", it always reads only the first excel sheet. Even when I specifically select one particular sheet (other than first) it gives me the same result - first sheet.
Do you know what could be the issue here?

Romana
0 Kudos
Alex_Combessie
Dataiker Alumni
Hi, I would advise to test with various options of pandas read_excel() for instance the engine.
0 Kudos
AshleyW
Dataiker

Hi, 

Updating this thread to let you know that Dataiku know lets you use the sheet name of an Excel as a column in the dataset. When you configure the format of an uploaded Excel, there is a checkbox 'Add the sheet name as an output column' which will do just that. The steps are outlined in this tutorial

I hope it helps!

Cheers, 

Ashley