Building a Data-Centric Culture at the ALMA Observatory - Watch on Demand

MichaelG
Community Manager
Community Manager
1 min read 3 4 4,172

Every astronomer knows the critical importance of good data when it comes to researching the oldest and coldest things in the Universe. But few observatories have recognized the importance of applying good data science to their operations.

@Ignacio_Toledo, Data Science Initiative Lead at the ALMA Observatory, shared learnings from their journey to build a data-centric culture in the organization, including:

• Why data science is important for astronomical observatories operations, and not only for astronomical research (here’s a preview!),
  • Concrete ways they’re building a data-centric culture at ALMA and their plan for the future,
  • How Dataiku DSS helps with data evangelization within the ALMA staff?

Located on the Chajnantor Plateau, 5,000 meters altitude in northern Chile, the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) Observatory is recognized as “the most complex astronomical observatory ever built on Earth."

Check out the VOD below and share your experience with evangelizing data science within your organization in the comments!

Labels

?
4 Comments
Ignacio_Toledo

Thanks Dataiku Community for the invitation to give this talk, it is my honor.

Everybody, please be welcome to send any questions or ideas that maybe you would like me to share with you. Also, bring your own experiences in team building and data envengalizing, so the exchange can be interesting to everybody.

Cheers!

Ignacio_Toledo

Thanks one more for the invitation! I really enjoy giving the presentation. By the way, here is the link to the slides that was shared through the online chat:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1e305EUQbm3SK2KCEx83Ip4UyDI40Y90yPULkdjyKLn0/edit?usp=sharing

ben_p
Level 5

Finally got around to watching this as I missed the original webinar - fascinating to learn more about ALMA, I'd love to visit one day!

Thanks @Ignacio_Toledo !

Ignacio_Toledo

Thanks @ben_p! I'm happy you liked it and that you did learn a little bit more of ALMA!

If you ever come down to Chile the doors always will be open for you to visit us! Just let me know.

Thanks again!

Share: